Topic

GoLite Shoes – On my Feet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GoLite Shoes – On my Feet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

The Whole Earth Provision Co, Quarry Market, San Antonio, Texas is one of three backpacking gear stores in San Antonio and the only one selling the new Golite Shoe line. I called them last week to see when they were getting in the shoes. They said they would call me. They called me early this afternoon to let me know that they had received their shipment of the new GoLite shoes. I asked if they would sell over the phone and they will. 210-829-8888 – Store hours M-Sat 10 – 9 pm & Sun 10 – 6 pm CST.

I don't work for this store – I don't work for anyone.

They had four different models ranging from $85 to $110.

I tried on both the Trail Fly and the Sun Dragon. I could feel the lugs through the sole of the Sun Dragon. I liked the Trail Fly better and bought a pair to try out. The size 11 – 11.5 weighs 14.88 ounces each shoe.

These are the mens shoes and they also have the ladies version of each.

The Trail Fly:

The Sun Dragon:

The Calumus:

The Eidolon:

I was able to take a set of pictures of the "one" GoLite Store catalog. The pictures are not to good but the catalog lists many more shoe models that I could fine on the "Shoe" web site.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I am interested in how my new GoLite Trail Fly shoes work just for hiking in them. I stopped trail running several years ago. For awhile I will wear them for my 2 to 4 mile walk each evening.

I have had them on since about 630 pm and just returned from walking 2 miles. They give you a sort of spring to your step.

Things I like so far is the space I have in the toe area and how the side of the shoes feel to my feet – nice.

With the deep lugs on the sole of the shoe they look like they would be good in snow.

Andy Goodell

@geekguyandy

Locale: New York State

I just ordered a pair through ebay for $40.50 after shipping. It seems oddly sketchy that someone is selling them that cheap when these are new things, but I had to try. It appears they have a few models and Mens sizes 7-9.5

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

Bill, were there any other noticeable differences between the Sun Dragons and Trail Fly's except the feel of lugs through the sole? I am trying to decide which to eventually purchase.

Also, does the soft material around the opening of the shoe seem very absorbent? I am hoping that the shoes will do very well in and out of the water.

Thank you!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Matthew,

When I was walking around in the store with the Sun Dragons on the only difference I could tell was that the sole seemed thinner. I could feel the lugs more through the sole – sort of like stepping on small rocks. They are a bit lighter and that weight savings may be with a thinner sole. I don't really know. When I mentioned this to the shoe clerk he suggested a different insole. The fit and feel of the Sun Dragon other than this one point seemed to be the same.

The soft material around the opening of the shoe is very absorbent. I dropped a few drops of water on that part and it soaked in quick. I made a short video of me doing this but I haven't been able to figure out how to load it someplace that I can link to.

Part of my Shoe Test Plan is to soak my shoes and then weigh them. Then check the time and see how long it takes them to dry out.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Looking at the items listed on ebay, it is amazing how fast these got duplicated! You can see the very faint imprint of $19.99 written in ink on the front part of the sole…where the ebayer bought these at a flea market and is marking up by $13. I am considering reporting them since they are selling them as Golite shoes straight up. You will notice they are selling a lot of other junk type stuff, so it all does not jive.

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

they should definitely be reported to GoLite. it's very fishy. looking at them, there are details that don't match up with the shoes Bill is showing us and what can be seen on GoLite's website.

OK, i just sent a link to GoLite through the Customer Service section on their site.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Matthew,
    I found out that the video function of Photobucket does not work with Safari. It does work with Foxfire. I had to make several videos before I got a video to work.

I discovered that water will run off some parts of that soft material and it soaks into it in other places. This shows up a little on the video at this link.

I used an old web cam so it isn't real clear. I will work on this new toy and see if I can make it work better.

Video Link

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks for all of your efforts, Bill! I appreciate the work you put into the tests. I am trying to decide between the Sun Dragons and Trail Fly's (or possibly the Inov-8 Roclite 285's).

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Andy,
    Make sure you give that guy on ebay a negative review for selling fakes.
    Maybe that will put an end to it.

Looks like the guy selling them posted on this board to say they are 1st run stocks that he bought for $33.

Nice find

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

One other thing I noticed…no pull tab on the back of the shoe like ALL the Golite's. That alone seems to be enough to indicate a fake.

It seems other sellers are jumping on with different stuff..but the bottom line is that this product launch was done rather low budget. You would assume Timberland would have some trade funds to put behind building a new brand. This would include getting the first push to market done right: All models available at the announced launch time, more depth of info. on the website, and an initial distribution network at launch time. It is almost like they announced these were going to hit the streets in March, and then sent the sales people out to make their first calls to specialty shops at the same time.

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Scott, i have to agree with your intial perception of the slow to go marketing on these. If today's marketplace has taught us anything here in the USA; it's that fakes/counterfiets from China or Russia will hit the streets just weeks after all the hype when something new hits a large market audience. Some buyers will get burned, as will the company when folks who bought the fakes blame the real deal as not being up to par.

The one shoe that looks like a cross between a Croc and a Keen, definitely looks marketed at those buyers.

One thing I did'nt think was cool, is the fact that GoLite could'nt come up with their own name for a shoe when it came to the 'CloudBurst'. Most everyone in UL backpacking today knows that name belongs to Henry Shires TarpTent.

matthew hart

@jomatty

how do you guys think these shoes would perform for hiking and some light trail running and even some running on pavement. is the fact that they are billing these as specifically made for skyrunning and rough terrain worrying me more than it should and will they work fine for these pursuits?

matty

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

REI now has two mens GoLite Shoes. They are not on their web site yet but they have them and can sell them.

They have the Spike Tail (size 7 to 13) $115 product number 750683.

They also have the Sun Dragon (sizes 7 – 13) $95 product number 750668.

They will be getting the Trail Fly sometime in April.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

GoLite Shoes – Spring 2007 Catalog

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Bill, I'm surprised that you or anyone else here did'nt discover the shoe that Columbia put out over a year ago named the, 'Simbo Shoe'? It was/is as 'revolutionary as any of GoLite/Timberland's….

Lightweight sueded uppers, window cutouts for ventilation, aggressive lug tread for traction, bungee laced with toggle and clip for custom fit, and odor resistant EVA midsole and footbed….

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Gene,
    Good catch;
    look familiar, anyone?
    Columbia Simbo

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I must admit the new shoes from Golight do look enticing; however, I have one reservation: the gigoundous, gnarly lugs. I remember that back in the late '70s Vibram reduced the depth of their lugs in order to reduce adverse impact on trails (erosion). These Golite lugs are hella bigger than anything that Vibram ever produced. I think I'll ask them about this, see what thay say.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

GoLite Shoes – A Couple of Problems

I have had a chance to put a few miles on my new GoLite Trail Fly Shoes and I am not happy with them.

The pain I first experienced in both my legs continued so I went back to my other trail runners for 2 miles to see if the pain continued with them. It did not.

I also started to have an additional sore spot on the outside edge of my right foot. There is a seam on the inside of the shoes where the front material (white) is sewn to the rear material (black). You can see where the white and black material are joined in this picture.

The seam forms a ridge of sorts that rubs on the edge of my foot. I have a hot spot starting and expect that if I had been hiking or trail running very many miles in them I would have a blister quick. This started before I replaced the GoLite insoles.

I bought a new set of Blue "Superfeet" insoles. After trimming them to fit I walked a couple of miles. The leg pain seems to be gone but the inside seam on my right shoe continues to rub the edge of my foot. Putting a seam along the inside of the shoe may be a design mistake. I don't really see a fix for this at the user level.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Bill,
    As much this may be a problem for you, it may not for others.

I would really like to love the Asic Trail Attack II's but don't for a few reasons. The seam on the upper edge is one.

I have talked to a few others who owned the shoe and they loved them and had no problems with them. I have no idea how they couldn't because of how my feet reacted to them, but they didn't.

What's good for the goose.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Bill, Aaron, I had the same problem with a classic hiking boot, the Danner Explorer. The seam where the lacing holes strip meets the shoe body pressed and rubbed against the tendon which runs in front of the inside of my ankle bone. Every step was painful. I badly wanted this to work out, so I tried to "break them in" (hows that for HW hiking logic). It didn't work, and now I couldn't return the boots.
    I suppose my foot geometry is different than most peoples, because this is a well-selling and highly rated boot.
    But that's all in the past. I use light hikers and trail runners.
    One would hope that a manufacturer like Timberland could get the seams right on these Golites, but maybe not.
    ouch; hurts like a Golite

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

regarding my email to GoLite about the shoes on eBay –

i got a response from Coup himself, cc-ing me on a forward to another GoLite email address – someone who i assume to be their legal bulldog or something along those lines, asking him to write back and let us know if this is legit or not.

when i hear more, i'll post here.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Creating any shoe that meets the needs of the myriad foot sizes has to be the single most difficult challenge for folks producing any kind of technical garment.

I tried for so long to get a pair of Asolo boots to work for me…and to no avail. They must work great on some folks…they seem to sell so well.

Large seam ridges inside any shoe is bound to be an issue at least for some folks.

My biggest concern with sizing these shoes will be the no half sizes. I am typically a 9.5 going to a 10. I always try on both to see whether the manuf. is on the big side or not. With a sizing system like Golite's, I am concerned that a 10-10.5 will be way too big, but the 9 to 9.5 might be a bit tight given that 9.5 is the outer limit.

I am also one of the lucky people who has a difference in size between feet…which makes fitting that much more fun!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Scott,
    I agree on the sizing issue. I tried the 10 – 10.5 but they seemed a bit to short. I think one of the problems is that the 11 – 11.5 is a little to big and the arch in the shoe doesn't really fit the arch on my foot. I am not sure that is the best way to say that. I will give them a few more days before they go back.

Andy Goodell

@geekguyandy

Locale: New York State

I got my shoes today, seem to be genuine Golites. It was a deal at $40, but they sent the wrong style. I think this guy raided a shoe truck, he's now selling Mions too. So until he sends the right pair, I have the Eidolons, which are the weirdest shoes ever.

First off, why do shoes need to be light if they are meant to be causal shoes? UL is great when hiking or running, but who cares when it's UL-walking-around-the-house. C'mon Golite… is that serious? At least this pair does have the heal.

Secondly, they have holes in the side, presumably to lighten them, but unless you have grey socks it looks hilarious with 4 big holes in each shoe. If you stepped in a puddle the inside would instantly be wet.

Third, the back of these are stiff plastic or something similar, and just walking around the house I could tell this would rub on my heal pretty bad. I've never had shoes rub like that before.

Forth, maybe this is a running shoe feature, but the sole curves up at the ball of my foot more than any shoe I've felt before. This makes walking awkward, but would probably be a good thing if you were running and on your toes.

Fifth, I knew they weren't amazingly lighter than other shoes (and I haven't weighed these ones yet but it's advertised at 10.9oz each I think), but my other shoes are only 1.3oz heavier each.

So, if you like to stay on your toes while around the house, these may be the shoes for you. Wear some colorful socks for a laugh too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools