Topic

5 cent, .8 ounce camp cape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 5 cent, .8 ounce camp cape

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I use various plastic bags, emergency shelters, lightwight plastic ponchos, etc. to warm me while in camp. They break the wind and, when used in conjunction with sunlight or a campfire, the greenhouse effect can add a lot of warmth for the weight.

This untested version is my latest attempt to get the weight down on this item. I used an old 4/10 mill plastic drop cloth. A 9X12 piece is enough to make 4 of these. They are open at each end (think tube) and are 6 feet in circumferance and 4.5 feet tall. Weight came to .8 ounces and cost (purchased decades ago) was 5 cents each.

I bought some .33 ounce cuben to make this but the drop cloth was a little lighter and the cuben seemed like overkill. I think I could probably find some dry cleaner bags that might do the trick. This 4/10 mill plastic runs about .28 ounces per square yard and feels a lot like dry cleaner bags.

here

here

here

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Looks interesting. We used to use garbage bags as cheap ponchos for the kids when we were camping – they work great (not breathable!) when head and armholes are cut. Looks like yours is similar but lighter and cheaper!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Headline:

"HIKER SUFFOCATES WHILE HIKING IN PLASTIC BAG"

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

haha

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Daryl,

I have a clear poncho from Walltowallmart for 80 cents.

(BTW — the print above the television, I can't make it out, but it does look familiar).

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Neat idea. I'm always impressed how versatile a small piece of plastic drop cloth can be.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Good idea, but I don't understand where the bananas go.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Tim,

Is your Walmart one similar to the photos below?

These weigh about 2 ounces each. The surface area is about the same as the .8 ounce one I posted so I'm guessing they might be made of something like 1 mil poly instead of .4 mil.

I've used them a lot and like them. I slit and tape the neckline to make it easier to get the hood over my bulbous head. I sometimes tape the arm holes shut to keep wind from blowing through them. I usuallly keep them tight to my body with a thin elastic cord that I wrap around my waist. Like the one I made, I only use them around camp or for rest stops while on the trail. Too fragile for much else.

here

here

Daryl

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

@Tim, the print is called " G R A C E" by Eric Enstrom.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools