Topic

Lassen National Park (Favorite hike?)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lassen National Park (Favorite hike?)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Anyone have a favorite hike in or around Lassen? I'll be visiting my wife's family up there this weekend and am thinking of squeezing in a solo overnight hike. if there's a good loop or out and back you can recommend, let me know. There's a couple of trip reports on here I'm off to review, but if someone knows the area well or has had a great outing there, I'd love to hear more. Thanks in advance.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

You know there are three or four fires in the area still? Smoke.
    Duane

Check out inciweb for fire info. Reading, Chips fire. The Ponderosa fire is not on there though, I believe they had it whipped.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

I knew about fires near Shasta being largely contained. Now I see Mt. Lassen Lodge or whatever is a fire command center. Not the best weekend I guess. Will have to spend it at the Sierra Nevada Brewery instead. That said … if you've got a hike for next time, i'll add it to the bucket list.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

FWIW Ponderosa fire is a state response and the Chips fire is federal, so detailed info is in different places. They hope to have the Ponderosa fire contained today but are concerned the next heatwave might cause the Chips fire to make another run before containment. It's at 87%.

I see they've reopened the Lassen thru-park road, at least.

My favorite Lassen hikes are to the east of Summit Campground.

Cheers,

Rick

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I actually prefer Caribou Wilderness over Lassen VNP, no permit or pass needed = free. Many lakes in Caribou are fine. For you it may be another hour drive to get to a TH, depending on where you are coming from. My friend and I were going to take our motorcycles, so that means a campground that Lassen VNP would offer. Entertainment once there to be determined. I think I could find room for a couple iced beers.
    Duane
    State response was my thoughts as to why info for the Ponderosa fire was not on inciweb.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

I'm driving up from between Chico and Chester. Rangers said they have been re-opening closed areas and East side of park (Juniper lake to Snag Lake to Butte Lake) should be fine. I think I can make a loop out of that too. That said, off to Google Caribou Wild. Thanks.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

That route would be good, won't see many people back there. Deer may out number you. A wash board road usingthat entry point starting in downtown Chester, keep your eyes open for signage, don't get in a hurry. Trails are easy to follow. This area, (Lassen VNP and Caribou) are noticeable different to me than the Sierra, not just the geology. Sounds, flora, odd sounds. Bigfoot?
    Duane

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

THere are some wonderful dayhikes in Lassen. Take the look from Summit Lake through Bear Lakes, Silver Lake, Feather Lake, Twin Lakes and Echo Lake. I think there are 13 lakes in ten miles. Lovely stuff.

WE also love the hike up to paradise Meadow, or the through hikes from Shadow Lake down to Summit Lake, or from Bumpass Hell down to the entrance station near Mineral.

Backpacking? Not so much.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Duane, Frank, Thanks. If the smoke is light enough, I am pretty stoked. Different than the sierras sounds nice as that's where I generally do all my hiking, that and the coast. Really like the volcanic aspect of that region. Interesting terrain everywhere I have been, but Ive never been to the backcountry out that way.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Brian, I have a bp friend who lives in Sac, she loves Lassen VNP, due to health issues she only does some car camping now. When she does a carcamp trip there and sends out invites, she has a good turnout. In Jan/Feb this year, about 10 of us went, had a great time partying in the parking lot by the new visitor center that replaced the chalet. We even went for a short dayhike to the Sulphur Works a half mile up the closed road. Park officials let us be, we behaved, being 30-50 somethings.
    Duane

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Probably too late for you, but if you can do the day hike to Bumpass Hell it's totally worth it.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Had a great trip. Better report will follow in the appropriate section. It took a while to get from the kennel in Oroville out 70 (beautiful drive BTW) to chester and up feather road to Juniper lake. Beautiful country. Got a late start. Went in at juniper lake around 4:00 p.m., went to Butte lake. Set up a nice camp, had a nice dinner, hung my food stuff, and hiked the loop over cinder cone to the south and back out. Just under 20 miles or so and my first solo BP trip in a dozen years. Can't wait to go again. Piper, Bumpass hell was recommended to me by a co-worker/friend and I definitely plan to hit the center of the park as soon as its convenient again. As to fires, I was running so behind Saturday I decided to do an in and out on the PCT in Belden. The PCT is/was closed in that area. Never smelled a wiff of smoke all weekend , though I saw a $#!t ton of fire fighters – whole camps of hundreds of tents and RVs. They'd done their job well and are to be cOmmended. Now that beautiful area will be preserved for those after me to enjoy. The deer are amazing. Everywhere. I went swimming with them at Butte Lake on Saturday. Only saw a half dozen or so other hikers. A+ trip for sure.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I was to the south in Bucks Lake Wilderness, a few miles from home. I smelled smoke pretty good Sunday and Monday AM's. Deer are real friendly by Snag Lake in Lassen. I was within 10' of a buck a few years ago by Snag Lake. Signs were up at two spots in Bucks Lake Wilderness about the PCT being closed. I ignored them as I was only going nobo on the PCT to Three Lakes, then turning right around the same morning to get some miles in.
    Duane

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools