Topic

Possible source for down?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Possible source for down?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

So…I'm thinking about picking up one of these comforters and taking the down out of it to make a top quilt with (or sleeping bag…still not sure which route I want to go):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1200-Thread-Count-Siberian-Goose-Down-Comforter-100-Egyptian-Cotton-750FP-50oz-/221100646571?pt=US_Comforters_Sets&var=&hash=item337aa020ab

$130 shipped for 50oz of 750FP down…Is $2.60/oz a good deal for 750FP "Siberian Goose" down?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If you're going to the trouble of making something, maybe you're better off getting 850 or 900 FP.

With 750, you lose some of the advantage of using down compared to synthetic.

David Miles
    Spectator

@davidmiles

Locale: Eastern Sierra

Jordan,
    Thanks for the link. I would probably get the highest fill if I was going to make something (I'm not).

However, my wife had me order one for our Cal King :)

Chad Root

@rootc

750+ fill power is decent especially at that price… Hopefully it isn't 10 ounces of 750 FP down mixed with 40 ounces of feathers. If it sounds to good to be true then it probably is.

David Miles
    Spectator

@davidmiles

Locale: Eastern Sierra

I have some very bright flashlights. I can shine it through the quilt and it looks like all down.
    800 lumens can also see through my fingers :)

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

Thanks for getting back to us david…fill power aside, does it seem like there's a good amount of down and it could be worth picking up for making some quilts?

I'm mostly interested in having some lower/mid quality down for prototypes and if this has the full 50oz it says it does then it should be a great deal.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Feathertex.com has goose down for $39 a pound. I believe they have a 2 pound minimum order. $2.44 an ounce. From myog threads, it seems to be better than 700 fp, probably 750 fp or very slightly better.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools