Topic

Updated 2013 JMT Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Updated 2013 JMT Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andrew McManama

@andymac321

Locale: SoCal

A while ago I posted a gear list and got some great advice. I wanted to show you guys how it went.

Here is the original Thread…

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60956

Here is my revised List. (just typed out Here)

Big 3

Osprey talon 44 (S/M)-2lb3oz
    MSR E-Wing Tarp (w/ rope and steaks)-1lb4oz
    REI Igneo Down Bag-1lb15oz

Total-5lb 6oz

Equipment
    petzl headlamp-3oz
    Sawyer Squeeze-4oz
    Water Bottles (Gatorade x2 and Platy x 2)-5oz
    Gerber Knife and Multitool-4oz
    Compass-1oz
    TH Maps-3oz
    Camera and Memory-11oz
    Spare Batteries-3oz (I may just put spares in resupply boxes and change them out.)
    First Aid and Toiletries-6oz
    Gorillapod-2oz
    Trekking Poles- 21oz (Not Counted in base weight of pack, but in total OOB weight)
    Bearvault 450 Solo-33oz
    Lighter-1oz
    SPOT GPS-7oz (No SPOT, NO solo JMT says the wife)
    Bandanasx3-3oz
    Thermarest zlite-14oz
    MSR Pocket Rocket-4oz
    Snow Peak Mini Solo Ti kit-5oz
    Fuel 4oz (8oz from MTR to WP)
    SP Ti Spork-.5oz
    Memo pad and pencil-3oz
    Ground Cloth- 2oz

Total- 7lb 5oz (poles not included)

Packed Clothes

North Face Venture Jacket-13oz
    Patagonia UL Down Shirt-6oz
    Long Johns (upper and lower)-12oz
    Extra Undies-3oz
    Extra Socks-6oz
    Beanie-2oz
    Gloves-3oz

Total-2lb

Worn Clothes

Shirt-5oz
    Undies-3oz
    Socks-3oz
    Pants-11oz
    Hat-6oz
    Sunglasses-4oz
    Boots -54oz (I can NOT hike in trail runners)

Total-5lb6oz
    Add Poles-6lb 11oz

Total Carried-14lb11oz

Out of Body Weight-21lb6oz

This is very close to what I took on the Rae Lakes Loop. I really found that dropping the hydration bladder and just getting water where available really helped. I didn't need more than 1L most of the time. I put a few notes on the list. I basically will hurt myself in trail runners. Even with a 10 lb pack when I'm day hiking I need my Boots. I own Trail Runners and have tried them. I can't drop the SPOT if I go solo. I like having the tracks to look back on anyway. I may add my vibrams (14oz) because they're awesome for crossings and camp and If the weather outlook looks really bad I will bring my Vaude Refuge Tent (2lb3oz) rather than the Ewing.

Soo, what do you think?

Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Looks like you've come down in weight from the previous thread. Well done.

Why do you need 3 bandanas? The gerber knife and multi tool may be overkill. A swiss army classic would likely be fine. Do your sunglasses really weigh 4 oz? Mine are under an ounce.

You could save weight in your big 3 and on some other gear, but I imagine you are already aware of that. Off to a great start!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

It looks like you still have some lightening to do, is your sleeping pad included in this?

Nick G

@hermesul

Having used both this summer, I have to recommend the Osprey Hornet 46 over the Talon. The Talon is basically their older version of an ultralight pack which is not really better in any way.

The Hornet 46 is still on closeout from REI. Cheap, 23 oz, holds any weight comfortably. Like the Talon, the Hornet has a removable top, which saves some substantial ounces but costs in pack volume. Unlike the Talon, water bottles are accessible when you're walking.

Andrew McManama

@andymac321

@Stephen:

Thank You! I really owe it to this community. I use 3 bandanas because the idea of wiping my face with the same one I wipe my dishes with doesn't thrill me. Basically 1 for dishes(wraps my stove when stored in the cook set), one for me, and one kept clean in case I need it for my filter or other purposes I may want a clean cloth for (tourniquet, bandage, etc.) I know I don't need that many, but I am far more comfortable (even if just mentally) with an extra bandana or two and at an ounce or less each the comfort to weight ratio for me is very high.

I'll look into the Swiss, my multi tool alone may be fine as I realized that it has a knife as well.

My Sunglasses are Prescription so I imagine my lenses are much thicker (should have specified in the list)

@Michael
    :

I can definitely shave a few more things, yes. But at this point I can not spend any more $$$ on gear and stay married. So I have what I have. (One more Christmas and Birthday before JMT so I may try to replace a couple of things)

@Nick
    :

I was looking at the Hornet 46 when I bought the Talon 44, I just don't have any frameless experience and I don't think I am quite light enough to be comfortable with that. Maybe it would work for the first half when I will be resupplying every 2-3 days, but once I hit MTR I'll be carrying 9 days (8 nights) worth of food on me. Figure around 12-15lbs added to the 15lbs I am at that would bring the pack very close to it's 30# limit.

A couple of thoughts….

Maybe I could acquire the Hornet for Christmas and use it for the first half of the hike and send myself the Talon at MTR. I can then send the Hornet back home.

I was also thinking I may need to send my regular size bearvault to MTR and send back the solo, but I'm going to see If I can come up with a menu for 9 days that will fit in the solo. Anyone use the solo for a similar stretch?

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

"Anyone use the solo for a similar stretch?"

Yes, just hike farther each day! :)

Andrew McManama

@andymac321

Let me rephrase that… has anyone taken the solo on a 9 day 8 night trip, as I have no intention of cutting my trip short, I am not hiking the JMT to blaze through it. I have set aside the time for 5 weeks off and I intend on using 3 of them on the trail.

Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I think you have a good strategy. Replace gear over time as money allows. Once your base weight comes down, try a frame-less pack. Take this current kit with you on several trips and replace or drop items that you find yourself not using.

We can all suggest lighter gear options, but it's unrealistic to make a lot of instant changes when expensive gear purchases may be required. Like you said, you'd like to stay married.

I would suggest buying a BPL membership and reading up on a lot of the articles (I know, I let my membership expire…I need to renew it). Mike C's book is also an excellent resource:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpackin-Tips-Inexpensive-Lightweight/dp/0762763841/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346266654&sr=8-1&keywords=mike+clelland

There are other resources out there as well. Skurka just recently released a book. Online blogs are also extremely helpful and always interesting to read.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Or you could get a zpacks zero large 44 liter pack instead.

add a mesh pocket hipbelt and your only looking at 5 – 6 ounces for $135.00 shipped.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

"I intend on using 3 of them (weeks) on the trail."
    Andrew,

If I had the time I think 3 weeks is the perfect time on the JMT. That way you really get to spend some nice time at each camp and do some nice side trips. It will be REAL hard to get 9 days of food into a Solo even if you carefully repack things. That means you may need to have a resupply out Onion Valley. I use a Bearicade Weekender and I can get 7 days in it if I repack everything and REALLY cram it in. I think my Bearicade is 650 cu vs 450 for the Scout.

Hope this helps.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

If you use all the resupply points, the BV450 should be fine up to MTR. In my planning, I discovered there is no bear canister requirement between MTR and Pinchot Pass, just hang up whatever won't fit in the can. Thereafter, try to select camps that have bear lockers nearby. After that, use what is left in the can and consider a resupply to Onion Valley if needed.

This map shows the food storage requirements along the JMT.

I am considering using this approach with a Bearikade Scout next year.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Canister requirements are specified for each Park or Forest. SEKI, Yosemite, and Inyo are all different. The regs are spelled out each year and they often change. The map reference above will not stand up in court, or more importantly in front of a backcountry ranger. (A copy of the regs Will show them the light.)

For the Parks search for Supeintendent's Compendium –

SEKI Comp

Which states somewhere around page 10 –

SEKI Regs

So unless there is snow covering the lockers, you must use them between Forester and Pinchot, unless you hike through that 34 miles in a day.

For Inyo, you need to clear the east side between the pass and Whitney Portal in a day to avoid that requirement area, and camping on the west side is thin and dry between the pass and the tarns above Guitar Lake.

In Yosemite canisters are required if you are "camping". If you can hike between Donohue and TM in a day, and between TM and the Valley in a day, you don't need one assuming you overnight in a secured/lockered facility.

Relying on lockers greatly impacts your hike. A canister provides flexibility.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools