Topic

camera for christmas: help me decide

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography camera for christmas: help me decide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I'm thinking of replacing my Canon A520 and from research here and on camera sites have determined the the Canon S100 and Olympus TG-1 seem to be the best-regarded in the ~$350 range. Where they seem to differ:

Manual mode/shooting with RAW: S100 yes, TG-1 no

Ruggedized: S100 no, TG-1 yes

Projected battery life: TG-1 wins

Currently I carry my camera in a Pelican 1010 case strapped to my hipbelt. If I got the Olympus I could ditch the case. While that's appealing, I'd lose all ability to fiddle with settings. Admittedly I don't use manual mode all that much with my current camera, but I do use it some, and I don't know if I'd miss it. Plus, while I've never had a camera that shot RAW, I understand that's the best format if you want to actually print photos, and that seems like a good feature to have.

What do you knowledgeable camera people think?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Plus, while I've never had a camera that shot RAW, I understand that's the best format if you want to actually print photos, and that seems like a good feature to have. "

I've been using Canon digitals since 2002, and about 99.99% of everything I shoot is RAW.

If you have a dead-perfect eye for exposure, and if you have the ability to fool around a lot at the shot time, bracket exposures a lot, and really take some time with it, then maybe you do not need RAW.

OTOH, most of us find RAW files to be handy so that you can tweak in your exposure (or other factors) at the time of the processing at the computer. I've found that I can tweak exposures by a small fraction of a stop and get good results. If I need to tweak it a lot, then I screwed up too much at the time of the shoot. If I have to correct a RAW file by 1 stop, that is serious. Two stops is ridiculous. Keep in mind that you can still hide a multitude of sins from within Photoshop.

–B.G.–

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Photokina is on next month.
    Some new releses will make to the shelves for xmas, so it may be worth waiting for that.
    Franco
    (Photokina is the largest photo gear exibition, biennial)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools