Topic

Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    James Blackwell
    BPL Member

@blackwelljc

Locale: Oklahoma

Sorry for last minute notice but is there room for another this weekend. I can make it Fri.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Sure James you're welcome. Landon, Eric and Richard are car pooling in from Oklahoma City. I'll be driving up from Dallas after I finish work at noon so I should be there about 4:30 to 5 PM.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Just a quick question for those going. Do you guys like to cook breakfast or not? I normally just eat a couple bars and get on the trail but if other people want to cook breakfast anyway I figured I might as well toss some oatmeal packets in.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I eat a balance bar for breakfast, usually boil water for tea, but not necessary,since I'm joining you guys for just one morning meal, I can forgot the tea on Sun am. unless others are eating hot food.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

I'm good either way.

Oh some good news. I don't have too rush off quit as fast as I though on Sunday.

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

Locale: Ozarks

I've done this trail multiple times, starting around 9 am, and finishing the following day between 1300-1500. There will be plenty of time for breakfast tea!

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

My vote is for oatmeal!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Okay I'll bring the oatmeal! Hey what time do you plan on getting there? Since its just two or three cars it should be pretty easy to link up. Here's what I look like (I'm on the left)

me

My car is a greenish Chevy Lumina with a big dent on the left side.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

If you guys aren't going to start hiking til Sat am, there's no need for me to go all the way to the falls to park….just let me know what you decide. I'm flexible.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Err we might have miscommunicated Leigh. I was still thinking we'd hike a ways on Friday and camp, not start hiking on Saturday. I know we could probably race around the loop pretty fast but I don't see a reason to hurry.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

That's what I thought too until I say Landon's post "solo night"…was a bit confused and thought you all had changed plans.Sorry I misinterpreted his post, and thanks for the clarification. I'm good with meeting up wherever and whenever.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Okay things seem to be a go from my end. I'll see the "three amigos" (Landon, Eric, and Richard) at FS 106/Winding Stair TH at about 4:30. Leigh will be joining us at some point from the LM trailhead. As far as I know these are the only people besides me coming. Love to have anyone else but you'd better let us know so we'll be looking for you there.
    Can't wait too see you guys!

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

I didn't mean to confuse anyone. We're about to head out. I'll be on my cell in the car for the next 5 or 6 hours, so if anyone else plans to join us, or if Leigh has any updates, feel free to call. (four oh five nine 212477). See you on the TH at 4:30

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Well the trip was amazing. We ended up having 6 people. Eric, Landon and Richard met me at the parking lot and we hiked out Friday night. Leigh met us at the parking lot for Little Missouri Falls the next day and James caught up to us after that.

It was a great trip and I'd be happy to hike with you folks again some day.

The first four starting out.

From left to right, Richard, Landon, Eric and me.

Me

Richard and Eric

Eric (in front) and Richard.

Eric

Eric in his Six Moons Designs Scout.

Richard's Tarp

Richard's MYOG tarptent. If I recall this is his first MYOG project like this. Very impressive.

My Dinner

I was a bit more creative in my meals on this trip. For dinner I ate a Mtn. House and apple slices dipped in Nutella. It doesn't get much better then that.

Hanging out around the fire

After dinner we hung around the fire till late in the evening.

Eric on the cold morning

That morning it was freezing cold. We'd expected a low of 40 but it felt a bit lower then that (it probably was and camping next to a river in the bottom of a valley didn't help).

Little Missouri Falls was nice. Leigh met us in the parking lot at the falls.

All together now

Shortly after Leigh joined us James caught up too us.

snacks

We stopped for lunch after hiking down a side trail to check out a vista. This time I had a granola bar with my Nutela. The rest of the group pitched in to lighten my load a bit by helping me eat my large bag of Peanut M&Ms.

It was great having guys along who knew the trail. If I'd been on my own I might have missed the side trail to all these great views.

trail

The trail led over a series of ridges (6 if I recall). Leigh was having a knee issue so she camped early by FR 106 and hiked down the road to the trailhead the next day. We went on a bit farther (mostly because there were no good campsites for a group our size).

camp1

Landon's Hexamid.

James' Gatewood Cape.

Hammock

Eric in his hammock.

campfire

We had another fire and I ate the last of my Nutela.

My stove

My alcohol stove worked very well on the trip. I didn't get a good picture of Eric's MYOG version of a Caldera Cone. He'd cut a pie pan up and wrapped it around a ebsit stove for greater efficiency.

tarp

I set my tarp up with two logs on either side. My plan was for them to block the wind although this was not really necessary.

hiking in the rain.

The next day we woke up to a drizzle of rain(not in the weather forecast by the way).

James got a chance to use his cape.

crossing the river

bluffs

bluffs2

crossing the river2

The hike down the valley was cool

spider

We stopped to take some pictures then Landon noticed a spider.

view

I think we spent about 30 minutes playing with various camera settings. It was tricky getting a picture because of the lighting and the clouds.

food

After the trip most of us met up at a Mexican restaurant for a post trip meal.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

It was a pleasure to hike and visit with such a fine group of guys!

Heading back to the ortho tomorrow with the knee. I got complacent with my knee exercises after not having issues for over a year…switching shoes and orthotics probably didn't help either. Will keep trying til I find the right combo.

Thanks again Luke for putting it together, and thanks Landon for proposing the side trip. Can't believe I didn't explore that before, but won't pass it up again!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Luke,

Looks like an awesome trip and thanks for putting up a ton of photos with great captions to share with us what happened.

Small suggestion, which might help you attract more people to future GGGs that you might organize: edit your trip report and then copy it and then paste it into a new thread under the Post Trip Report section and/or into the photo gallery area.

You created an excellent trip report and burying it at the end of this thread may limit the number of people who will view it.

It deserves to shared with everyone.

Congrats on your trip and wishing you have many more GGGs in the future!

-tony

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Leigh

Sorry your knee is still sore but I'm glad you bailed when you did so it wasn't worse. Hope it recovers soon.

Tony

Thanks for the idea. I'll probably add a few more pictures now that I have time and post it under trip reports.

Jim L
    BPL Member

@bmafg

Looks like you all had a great weekend. Wish work hadn't gotten in the way as I really wanted to be there.

Leigh. I wish you luck with your knee. I fought knee problems caused by poorly adjusted equipment when cycling — no fun. Hard to stay active and fit while rehabbing a knee.

Jim the old one.

Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools