Topic

Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Anyone want to get together in the Texas, Oklahoma, or Arkansas area? I'll be in Dallas for the foreseeable future substitute teaching so I could probably arrange a long weekend pretty much any time.

Ideas of where we could go would be
    1. Ouchita Mtns
    2. Wichita Mtns
    3. Caprock Canyon State Park
    4. Lone Star Trail

Let me know if you're interested.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'm interested.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Awesome, any strong preferences on when and where? For me "when" determines "where" to some extent. Some places are better when its cooler (Lone Star Trail for example).

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Luke, I have no strong preferences. Of the four locations, I have been to the Ouachita Mtns and Caprock Canyon SP. The Ouachita Mountains are always nice, like Eagle Rock Loop even somewhere along the length of the Ouachita Trail.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Friday evening to Sunday evenings work best for me. I figure September or October would be our best bet, August is hot and I need to finish getting settled in Texas.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I'd be interested — add Hill Country State Natural Area and Lost Maples State Natural Area (both in Texas) to the list.

The later in the year the better. Lone Star Trail would better in February…

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I'd definitely be interested. Agree Ouachita's would be great, ERL would be great or a section of the OT. but I'm open to other venues… also agree on later….mid Oct at earliest I would think and even then could be pretty warm, nicer in Nov…..thru April…but I'm flexible.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Thanks for all the reponses ya'll. Sounds like no one is ready to go right away, I'd say lets start think about dates in October/November (more hunters will be out in November). I have not particular plans then, I should be free most weekends. Spring would work for me too, I just hate to wait that long. If you guys have specific dates you can or can't come let me know.

I'm thinking we should eliminate Caprock and the Wichita Mtns. they aren't close to anyone and that would be a long drive from SE Texas (its a decent drive from Dallas already). That leaves us with Lost Maples, Lone Star Trail and the Ouchita Mtns. I figure the Ouchitas would be better if we actually want to do so real hiking, more trails, more water etc. They aren't too long a drive for me but if you're in SE Texas that might be too much, let us know.

Jim L
    BPL Member

@bmafg

Take a look at backpackingarkansas.com

They have pretty good info on several hikes in Arkansas.

Jim

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Anytime after early October would be good for me. Open to any location…

SPAM

@dsundalba

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Make it west Texas and I'll definitely attend.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

The opening day for deer season(excluding muzzleloader 10/20 and bow hunting 9/15) in zone 11 (majority of the Ouachita's) is 11/10. Maybe try for the first week of Nov.? I'd certainly be open to earlier,mid Oct would be ok too…I have a serious case of trail fever, now that school's cranked back up. It hasn't helped that the weather here has been unseasonably cool for August…not cool enough to hit the trail…just cool enough to get me thinking about it in earnest!

Backpacking Arkansas members have our Fall Gathering the last full weekend of Oct (26-28) and I'm committed to that, but if the GGG is any other weekend I'd love to be there, where ever folks decide! Thanks for getting this going Luke!

@Eugene
    Maybe we could get some interest in folks doing one at Big Bend late fall/winter.

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

Locale: Ozarks

I'm definitely in. I'm only 5 hours from the Ouachitas in OKC. There is a great loop southeast of Mena, AR. 26 miles, 5,000 ft. of elevation gain, and loads of scenery.

http://www.ouachitamaps.com/Eagle%20Rock.html

Really, though I'm up for whatever, and would love to meet some new BPL people!

***oops John, didn't see your mention of Eagle Rock loop!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'm 6 hours SW of OKC, so that only puts me 11 hours from the Ouichitas. Looks like I'll be watching where Eugene goes, although I'm pretty tired of hiking without water.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

My concern with a trip to West Texas is that we'd lose a lot of people if we went there. Maybe other people in East Texas/Arkansas can weigh in on how that would affect there plans.
    If West Texas is too far for some folks maybe we could just do two separate trips? One in West Texas and one in Arkansas. Those of us in the middle could try to go on both.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Keep me updated guys, I've been researching Texas hikes, nothing new but I'm working on it. Until then I really won't have much to add to the discussion, just don't think I disappeared.

I am still up for either an Arkansas Trip or a trip somewhere in Texas, maybe both. I'm hoping to be able to plan a few commitments out over the weekend so I can give more specific dates as to when I could be available. If anyone has any dates that will or won't work let me know.

Geoffrey Lehmann
    BPL Member

@yipper

Locale: deep south

A quick search doesn't reveal what GGG stands for, though context suggests a group outing.

A combination of about 28 miles of ORV and foot trail is possible in the Kisatchie Ranger District in NW Louisiana.

Note that extended drought in AR and OK may affect water availability and fire restrictions there.

geoff

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Gear Geek Gathering I believe,
    Thanks for the info on Louisiana and a reminder of the drought.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I see GGG used on BPL and laugh a little each time, because the sex advice columnist Dan Savage advocates that people be "GGG" – good, giving and game while in bed.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Gathering of Gear Geeks!

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Dang. I lurk for years. Join for going on 3. And less than 2 months after I leave Texas this gets planned.

:). Guess I should have had Luke's initiative.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Gathering of Gear Geeks. Coined by Tony Wong at the first GGG. The 5th Annual is coming up for us out west. Glad to see these popping up elsewhere.

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

As far as dates go, as long as there's a months notice, I'm a go for wherever.

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

I'm looking at my schedule for next month, are there any dates that would work for anyone? Maybe the 3rd or 4th weekend of the month?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools