Topic

Excel Gear Spreadsheet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Excel Gear Spreadsheet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

I built an excel spreadsheet that can track my pack weight depending on what gear I choose to pack on any given trip. It breaks down the weight of each category and gives subtotals for gear only prior to food and water.

Anyway if anyone’s interested I can e-mail as an attachment. It’s set up for (2) people and a dog. It also has an area for what is worn on your body.

James Augustine
    BPL Member

@chirodr

Locale: Southern California

Hi Carol:

Yes, I’m interested. It’s funny…I was just sitting down to re-weigh all my gear in variations for different seasons and was going to put together a gear list, so this would be great!

My email is: [email protected]

Thanks Carol,

Jim

Janet L Besanceney

@kira2167

Hi Carol,
    If you wouldn’t mind, could you send me a copy as well. I have done the same thing with the 3 different packs I have to keep up with. I’d like to see how you designed yours to get some improvement ideas on tracking the items.
    Thanks,
    Janet
    [email protected]

Walter Pickett
    BPL Member

@wpick

Hi

I’d like a copy too. My email is

[email protected]

Ben Thompson

@studiofluid

thanks carol. that would be a huge help!

studiofluid -at- gmail.com

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Umm pleasssseeee. I would love one to Carol. Thanks in advance.
    Ken

[email protected]

Pamela Wiget

@pamela

Hi, thank you i would love to receive a copy of your spreadsheet. My email is [email protected]. thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Carol

I’d like a copy as well. My email is

[email protected]

david epley

@renman

A lovely offer. I’d like a copy of that spreadsheet as well, please. Thanks.

[email protected]

Lee Cliff

@lclifftwcny-rr-com

Hi Carol.

I’d like a copy of that spreadsheet, too.

Thanks.

[email protected]

Ron Stoecklein
    BPL Member

@rs7trout

Hey Carol

Looks like the spreadsheet was pretty popular–and I would really like it as well–thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Ron
    [email protected]

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi Carol,

if I could get a copy of the spreadsheet you would make my day….really…not kidding.

[email protected]

David Reid

@davidr

Carol
    could you please send me a copy..my email is [email protected]

thanks

Thomas R. Conroy
    BPL Member

@trconroyearthlink-net

Locale: Sierra

Dear Carol,

If it’s not too late to jump on the bandwagon, would you please your spreadsheet to me?

Thank you for taking to the time to create it and for your generosity in sharing it.

[email protected]

Iain Perkin

@scouteriain

Hello Carol, If you could see it in your heart to share, my email is [email protected]. With many thanks, Iain

Ronnie Cusmano
    Spectator

@ronnie1107

Locale: Northeast

Hi Carol,
    You are very generous indeed.
    I would appreciate a copy as well.
    Best Regards,

[email protected]

Ben Thompson

@studiofluid

I left my name back on 7/7/05 and haven’t seen the excel sheet come through…

Carol, are you still checking this thread?

If you still are, I am still interested.

Thanks a bunch!
    Ben Thompson

studiofluid@@@@@gmail.com
    (remove 4 @ symbols)

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Uhm, let’s hope Ms/Msr Corbridge is sincere and will not start to spam all of you’re email accounts.

Eins

-is a bit sceptic about giving his email adress on the www and also doesn’t like cookies.-

No offence though, Ms/Msr Corbridge. Just want to advice people about being cautious on the web.

Paul Sherwood
    BPL Member

@psherwood

I would like a copy of the gear list excel spreadsheet. My address is [email protected]

Ben Thompson

@studiofluid

x

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Hey All,

I hate to be yet another person asking for this… so I made my own and posted it on my website so anyone can download it if they want…

http://www.davidlewis.ca/GearList.zip

I don’t know how it compares to Carol’s spreadsheet… but it works well enough. I also don’t mean to step on any toes… just figured it was easier to make my own.

The main thing I wanted was to be able to turn items on and off and have the totals all update.

I used checkboxes at first to do this… but they are a huge pain since they do not occupy a cell… they float above everything. So if you want to add new rows, delete rows, move rows, sort rows… etc… the data all moves around the page… but the checkboxes stay put… making it very confusing. Plus you have to add checkboxes one at a time and associate them with a new cell… etc. They are just really cumbersome.

So… instead… I just used a column with a character in it. I used the letter x to indicate that an item is “checked” or “turned on”. To turn an item off… just delete the x or type any other characer BUT x. The formula that looks for the x and makes this work is in column F. I made the text white in that column so it wouldn’t show up when values are being populated (either 0 or the weight in grams).

Also… all of the weights are based on grams and everything in the spreadsheet (formulas, etc.) is keyed off what you enter in the grams column. I did this since my scale can measure in 1 gram increments and a gram is a smaller unit than 0.1 oz… so I figured this would be the most accurate measure… esp. for tiny items. It would be easy enough to change the formulas tho’ to key off ounces instead.

And before anyone says so… yes… I know… my sleeping bag is INSANELY heavy. That’s my one last big lightweight purchase. I’m debating between an Arc Alpinist (worried about drafts) or the GG Sleeplight.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

David,

If you are considering the Nunatak Arc Alpinist or the Gosamer Gear Sleeplight sleeping bags consider the Feathered Friends (FF) Vireo, optional Volant Hood, and FF jacket.

Rather than go through these discussions again review the discussions here on BPL in the down quilt thread at:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?mv_session_id=IHUnAGDu&mv_pc=99&forum_thread_id=576

and the multiple use sleeping bag thread at:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?mv_session_id=Gioht95L&mv_pc=91&forum_thread_id=542

Rich

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Thanks for the thread pointers Richard.

Did you check out the spreadsheet? It’s nothing revolutionary or anything… but I do like the ability to turn line items on and off. I thank Google for helping me figure out that one :) I’m not an excel person by any means!

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

David,

I have not had a chance to check your spread sheet. I have borrowed the one from Mark Verber at:

http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/backpack.html

As Mark points out on his site it is best imported in Excel. Once in Excel you can make all your changes to his list.

Rich

Whit Kincaid

@razor

Carol-
    A copy of your spreadsheet would be a great asset! If it would still be possible, an e-mail to [email protected] would be most welcome. Thanks!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools