Topic

Bob Lane collapsible cup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bob Lane collapsible cup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Matt Porter
    BPL Member

@onehappycampster

I pick up this little gem from Ebay. My camera SD card crapped out but here's an article written that tells a bit about the cup. http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=72375 Very lightweight and a cool little collector's piece. Very usable as well. I Googled it and found a copy of the patent. One made in TI foil would be very cool. Cheers.

Matt

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I remember the Bob Lane cup being available when I first started backpacking in 1976…

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Ok, that is pretty cool !!!

Matt Porter
    BPL Member

@onehappycampster

It's a shame they stopped making it. I've read that LL Bean was the retailer. Maybe they'll start back someday.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

Thanks Matt for posting this.

I love clever and this is clever.

I found where one sold on ebay for $50. I also found the Patent information.

I might try and make one out of some of my .016" titanium sheet if I can work out the rivet?? / sliding part.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

At what point did the patent expire?? (if it has)

If it has expired and you make one, I would love to pick one up from you if you figure out a way to make them work!!

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I remember that my father's cousin had one of these. It was very springy stainless(?) steel. It snapped into a cone shape when opened. Now I wish I had bought one. Also wish I had kept my Svea stove and Silva compass…

Matt Porter
    BPL Member

@onehappycampster

I like the cup but I don't like $50 worth…but a TI version may be worth it just to be the coolest kid in the woods! LOL I just measured the thickness using my digital calipers. It's ".007 thick. You don't think the TI sheet you have is too thick? It's pretty springy stuff.

I have two Svea stoves. Pretty cool but big and heavy. I must admit old school always looks the best in my eyes.

Bill I'll shoot you whatever dimensions you may need.

I'm looking on the US Patent site right now to see what I can find out.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Matt Porter
    BPL Member

@onehappycampster

I read that, too. All I can find on a patent search is that it was issued in 1963. I'm sure there's an office that could inform a person if a patent is expired.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0927527A1.pdf

This upgrade can be set horizontal and stand up.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi,

I printed out the patent drawings and using the photos with the ebay sale as a reference they look to be somewhere around 4" long before folding into a cup.
    ebay listing:

ebay cup

I can't make the cup link for ebay work. You should be able to do a cut and paste or try looking for the auction # 130706932772. It will tell you something like auction over but they is a place to click something like "look at original listing".

Th Patent date is Sept 22, 1960 and I expect it is still active. I have no idea how long a Patent lasts. I found the Patent using the number (3,087,640)on Google:

Cup Patent

Anyway, a person can make something that is covered by a Patent if it is for "their use only", I think.

Matt Porter
    BPL Member

@onehappycampster

It's 5 1/2" when laying flat.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Thanks Phil,

That makes things easier.

Matt Porter
    BPL Member

@onehappycampster

I wish I could snap a pic for you. The memory card just HAD to fail. Just let me know what else I can measure for you.

I really like the version John provided a link for.

At first I wondered who "Phil" is. Then I realized I had my account set to the billing info from 2 years ago. I use my middle name, Matthew. So just call me Matt.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I made a copy of the Patent drawing using 5.5 inches as the width. I am getting ready to print it out both pieces on card stock for the pattern.

I assume you have a real one? What does the rivet look like. I will try a pop rivet first and see if that will work.

I will make the first couple out of some thin aluminum and see if that will work. Then try a piece of titanium or thin stainless steel.

The only titanium I have is some .016 of an inch.

Matt Porter
    BPL Member

@onehappycampster

I do have a real one. With the paper envelope as well. Are you able to receive pic messages on your cell phone?

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

The patent has expired. Here's a link explaining current US patent terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_of_patent_in_the_United_States

Matt Porter
    BPL Member

@onehappycampster

Very cool info thanks.

Mr. Bill, just pm me your cell phone number and I'll send you a pic of one of the rivets using my cell phone. They look like small flat head or tinner's rivets to me. I'd opt for the tinners' rivets for reasons of holding power.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Matt,

Cell Phone, what is a cell phone? Kidding, I don't have a cell phone and have never even talked on one. How about an email address? I will PM it to you if that will work.

Have a look at the pictures with the ebay sale. They are petty good.

I will try the old fashion rivets. I have some friends that make custom jewelry and they should know where I can get some or they might even do it for me.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Thanks for the post. This is a real blast from the past for me.

In the 70s I used this cup to drink water directly from streams as I hiked. It was lighter and more compact than the popular Sierra Cup. It's thin walls and flexibility also allows one to fill the cup from very shallow water sources (e.g. thin stream running over a rock).

I gave it away once I started filtering my water because I preferred to have a cup that would stand on its own without tipping.

The cleverness of this design still impresses me. I've always figured there must be some other applications for the design but never came up with any.

Matt Porter
    BPL Member

@onehappycampster

Daryl,
    Take a look at the copy of the patent that John submitted the link for. I would love a few of those!

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Matt,

I took a look per your suggestion. Pretty cool improvements.

I love the languge in the patent write-up. It isn't easy to describe something as curvy as this thing but the author does a good job.

Daryl

Matt Porter
    BPL Member

@onehappycampster

Yes it does look cool. Some folks have a way with language, eh?

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

I am very excited to see where this goes. It has been great following along so far.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools