Topic

What camera took these videos?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography What camera took these videos?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Can anyone guess what camera took these videos? I'm camera-dumb, but would love to take videos of these quality. Any advice?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Any advice?"

I would suggest to find the correct link to the videos. There is nothing visible here.

–B.G.–

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Seriously awesome footage.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

looks like footage from a Go Pro to me…
    Franco

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Nice find. Scanned a few blog pages and in addition to my lack of French I saw no gear references. I'll guess he has something strapped to his chest–how does a GH2+7-14/4 lens sound? :-)

An exif utility might be able to read camera info from the stills.

Cheers,

Rick

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I'm no camera expert, but I'm starting to think it's a gopro too. In the beginning you can see a shadow that looks like it's a head mounted gopro.

I'm considering buying one now, but the whole no screen thing is kinda weird. I know they have that add-on screen, but that adds cost.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

it's head mounted.
    Note that as he is walking the camera pans around, can't do that with a chest mounted camera.
    The video is shot on a very wide lens and cropped in most places on editing.
    There is no optical stabilisation , so those are the clues that it could be something like a GoPro.
    Could not see that shadow (?)
    Franco

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

FWIW I think it is stabilized–it looks much less jittery that the simple helmet-cam video I'm used to seeing.

Which still doesn't answer the question, "how'd he do dat?"

[edit: looked up GoPro specs and though they don't list IS, they do offer extreme wide-angle models, which could by itself reduce apparent camera shake.]

Cheers,

Rick

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

He used a head-mounted GoPro HD for almost all videos (some of them with an Olympus Tough camera, which he uses for pictures). Sometimes he uses the GoPro in his hand instead, depending on the situation. He does not use a steadycam or anything like that. Since he's doing these videos during 50-mile days in the mountains, he'd rather travel light!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Could not see that shadow (?)"

About 30 seconds in on the Mineral King video.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

OK, thanks.
    It is "visible" at around 28 sec for about 3 frames… I was looking a bit higher than that.
    Franco

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I recently heard that the gopro doesn't have a replaceable battery and doesn't work well in low light. I may get it anyway, but are there any alternatives I should be considering instead?

Here's what I'm hoping for: (forgive any mistaken terminology, I'm very new to camera's)
    -wide angle lense like gopro
    -HD video 1080
    -Decent at still shots in many light conditions.
    -Lightweight and compact
    -replaceable battery
    -Under $400
    -Has some way to mount to my head like a headlamp. Do they make headbands that fit regular camera mounts?

You guys seem to know what you're talking about so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Sony will announce soon, officially, their "action" camera.

Here it is :
    http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/08/sonys-new-gopro-killer-might-be-the-most-badass-action-cam-weve-ever-seen/

looks like it has a built in battery but apparently it has a built in stabiliser (probably of the digital type)
    JVC has the CG XA1 (Adixxion), don't have any idea about this one but I never liked their image quality including from pro stuff and had plenty of problems with their CODECS
    (basically hard to edit)
    Some like the Contour, others the Drift, neither looked as good as the GoPro particularly once the vision was processed via their new software.
    (CineForm Studio)

Don't expect high quality stills from this kind of cameras, just snapshots.
    Franco

Andrew Weldon
    BPL Member

@hypnolobster

The Gopros all have replaceable batteries. Extras aren't terribly expensive, either.
    The new Hero HD 2 works considerably better in low light, but it's not exactly astonishing. Better than your average compact, though.

There are GoPro alternatives (contour, etc), but the gopro is the original and probably the most fleshed-out by far. You really cannot go wrong with the new Hero HD2.
    Even the stills are pretty acceptable with good composition and lighting.

Here are some sample images I've taken
    http://i.imgur.com/s9sR7.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/hYAt6.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/h7hiQ.jpg

View post on imgur.com

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thx guys. I'm sold. Just picked up an HD2 at REI on sale. :)

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Hey Andrew,
    Your pictures are awesome. How did you do that? I'm having a hard time getting the same quality pics from my new gopro. I'm sure much of my problem is my lack of talent with photography, but are there any settings or tricks I should be aware of?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Pretty sure that there is a good ammount of processing involved with those shots…
    Possibly the CineForm Studio software I mentioned above can do it, otherwise the likes of Photoshop.
    keep in mind that the Cine Form is a free download.
    Franco

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools