Topic

Large mouth and clam shell packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Large mouth and clam shell packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I purchased 500D coudura at special price of $ 6.25 yard from rocky woods fabrics. I really like working with 500D cordura it only weighs 6.5 ounces a square yard and is more durable than the lighter weight fabrics. I was able to make each pack for under $15.00 including everything and the packs both weigh under 30 ounces.

I made a 28 liter clamshell and a 40 liter large mouth pack. I have been wanting to design a clamshell pack for awhile. The pack has two deep water bottle pockets and shov-it front panel used in compression and to stuff a jacket in and a expandable front zippered pocket.

The large mouth pack is a top loader you can dump everything in and use a short ridgerest pad as virtual frame it also use a z rest pad sewn in to the back panel for breathability and to use as foot pad when sleeping.
    The pack has top compression system on the sides of each zipper and a short shock cord on top to put a wet jacket under. The pack has a large shov-it front panel that holds my OR aurora bivy and ground cloth,large deep water bottle pocket that carry bottles and deep enough for my sea to summit umbrella also,expandable front zippered pocket.
    Enjoy ,
    Terry

Large mouth pack photos:

large mouth front

large mouth back

large mouth side

Clam shell pack photos:

clam shell front

clam shell side

clam shell back

robert perks

@rperks

Terry,
    I really like the general look and shape of the clam shell bag. Can you share a little more detail and pics on how you will be implementing the straps?

Thanks

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Robert,
    The straps are removable and it nice you can remove the shoulder straps for travel to use a as luggage or replacement of worn straps.
    The way the strap system works is you feed the 1 inch webbing through the 1 inch looplocs mounted on the pack then thread the webbing through the trigildes mounted on the shoulder straps and then double back the webbing over the triglide and tread through the back part of the triglide to lock the webbing in place. The 1 inch looplocs are 3.75 inches apart.
    When sewing the 1 inch webbing across the back that the looplocs are mounted to I use a strip of 500 D cordura or better yet if you have some Xpac to back up the main pack body . So the webbing mounts don't tear through the main body pack fabric,

The pack is a easy squared design the template can be drawn with a ruler and coffee cup for the corner curves.
    The pack dimensions are 11 inches across the bottom Then measure straight up 13 inches on each side where the water bottles are mounted. Then 7 inches to the top so the pack is 20 inches tall overall.

The top is 6.5 inches across then draw the angled taper part from the 13 inch mark to the 6.5 inch top mark to get the angled top.. Then use a normal size coffee cup to draw the top and bottom curved corners on the top and bottom. The pack is 7 inches deep.
    Hope this helps you out on your pack.
    Terry

clam shell template

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Really digging the black pack with teal accents. At least the stitching looks like a teal color from what I can tell.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Sean,
    The color of thread is Kelly green color Rocky woods is switching to Gutterman thread non bonded non bonded thread wrecks havoc with my sewing machine. So I bought one the last few colors they have in the bonded T -70 thread in kelly green. I also really like the look of the opposite colored 5mm stitching.
    Terry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools