Topic

Lightweight multi-tool

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight multi-tool

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Craig Marriner

@scribestroller

Locale: Central Plateau

Looking for the lightest multi-tool that includes lock-blade, saw, pliers (any kind) and scissors.

Any recs?

Cheers

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Check out the Leatherman Squirt PS4 Multitool for $29.95. It weighs just 1.9 ounces and offers pliers, scissors, and a knife.

If you're carrying a standalone knife anyway, you might want to consider the Leatherman Style PS Multi Tool ($19.95) which has pliers, scissors, and tweezers (but NO knife) and it weighs 1.6 ounces. Don't hold me to it, but it appears that this tool MIGHT be TSA-compliant…

Campmor has both…

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

I picked up the Style PS (the one with no blade) just for travel and can confirm that it will make it through airports. They will take it out and spend time trying to find out where the blade is, so some time and patience is warranted.

If you need a saw, what about using a hacksaw blade with small rings in the end? (I.e. carry string, blade, and wrap string around twigs and through rings for handles.) The smaller multi-tools seem unlike to carry a saw blade.

Craig Marriner

@scribestroller

Thanks Kevin

To be honest I'm gravitating towards spending a few extra grams on the LM Blast. Really keen on a lockblade and saw, plus it's got a bit of length for the weight, good grip, etc. Like having everything consolidated when I can too.

Craig Marriner

@scribestroller

Jeremy

Was pretty sure some resourceful chap'd come through with a solution to all the (backpacking related) superfluousness functions of the larger saw-featured multi-tools!

No doubt I'll get there one day. But maybe I'm just too new to UL, or too drawn to having my tools consolidated, but the blast is still looking good for now.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Craig,

From what I can find online the LM Blast is at least five ounces heavier than either of the items I mentioned. I guess I'm curious about a couple of things relating to the locking blade and the saw.

What have you used your knife for in the past where you needed a locking blade? The only thing I've used a knife of any kind for in the last couple of years was to cut sausage into small bites to go in a meal. I find I use the scissors on my "Swiss Army Clipper" pretty frequently, but never the knife.

And the saw seems too short on the Blast to be worth much. I guess you might be able to use it to notch a stick (to make a stake) but you're certainly not going to use it for firewood.

My point? Would you be better served putting the five ounces into either a dedicated lock-blade knife or into a stand-alone saw that is really usable?

What I've carried has evolved as a result of my post-trip gear review process. Here's my personal evolution:
    – Leatherman (old-school style – roughly 8 ounces in its leather sheath)
    – Leatherman Juice (weighs almost as much but was smaller)
    – Swiss Army Clipper (1.3 ounces – short blade, scissors, and nail clipper)

I was actually considering one of the two I mentioned in my earlier post but I think I've now talked myself out of it. I wanted pliers. I've never needed pliers while I was backpacking, but for some reason I wanted to have them. I just went through my typical gear list and there's not a single thing that I carry that could ever require the use of pliers! I have a frameless pack and I sleep in a hammock. I guess they might come in handy if something went wonky with one of my LT4 trekking poles, but that's about it.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I have carpal tunnel and take a PS4. I use the pliers all the time for things that require a tight grip, like pulling tent stakes out of hard ground. Really saves me from flareups. And I have used the mini-screwdriver on it to fix my glasses in the field. But I can see where for most people there'd be no call for pliers. I hadn't known about the PS prior to this thread and I may get that instead. I carry a folding razor blade so I don't need the knife blade on the PS4, plus the PS has tweezers, which is something I keep meaning to put in my med kit but haven't. I wish there were a second screwdriver rather than that file though. I've never used one of those things but they seem to be popular to include.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Craig, if you're willing to ditch the pliers, Victorinox has knives with locking blades and usable saws. There's probably also a model that has those plus scissors but you'd have to look, and knowing SAKs, you'd probably end up with a ton more unwanted tools just to get those three in the same implement.

Jen Churchward
    BPL Member

@mahgnillig

I also bought the Style PS with no blade to go with my Spyderco Ladybug knife. I have a couple of other multitools to choose from, but this combo gives me a sharp blade that locks and feels a bit more handy than the non-locking blades on other small multitools. I also get both scissors and pliers (along with tweezers) on the Style PS. Unlike many, I have actually used pliers while backpacking… I have found they come in very handy for removing cactus spines from dog paws and shoes as they grip a lot better than tweezers. As for the saw, I have never found a use for one on a backpacking trip… I would think one of those wire saws would be better as it would be both lighter and allow you to saw bigger diameters than any saw on a multitool could.

Craig Marriner

@scribestroller

Kevin

I hear you on this, but I don't think I'm ready to roll with just the bare essentials yet.

Pliers: fell headlong and tried to break my fall with a BD pole last year, annihalated the bottom section. Had a heck of a jury-rigging it well enough to take weight on the way out. Pliers would have helped immensely. Also I've been tempted to buy a pot holder at 30 grams, figured pliers would cover both roles plus a lot of unforeseen.

Lockblade: mostly a 'what if'. Like what if my boot's wedged in submerged rocks and I need to cut the lace before losing balance and drowning. I find a few uses for a knife around the campsite and hut (and, heaven forbid, if you end up in a survival situation the more knife the better) and you only ever need to have one of those accidents that lock-blades are immune to to make you seriously regret not spending a few more grams on one.

The saw's mostly for clearing brush and small branches when pushed for shelter space, a few other 'what if's.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools