Topic

LW Hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) LW Hoody

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

I've been trying to locate a lightweight hoody but haven't been able to find the Smartwool one or the Patagonia R1. The Ibex Shak hoody is too heavy for my needs at around 20 oz. I found a small cottage company called Melanzana ( http://www.melanzana.com )out of Leadville, CO that makes fleece gear. They have a Polartec Micro-grid hoody that they say comes in at 9.4 oz for a Men's size large and is a 100 weight fleece. I think it may be the same fabric used by Patagonia on their Capilene 4 gear. Before I bought one I figured this is the best place to find out if anyone has one and would be willing to share a quick review.
    Thanks…Ron

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The Shak is great below 40°F. Above that I use a Smartwool Shadow Hoody. The men's Shadow is, unfortunately, no longer made. I've used mine up to about 80°F. If you don't mind wearing the women's version and it fits, based on the experience of others, I would consider it. I would guess that fleece would be too warm as a base layer. Is this for use as a base layer? My advise assumes so. I can't help you on Melanzana but thanks for the link. They're new to me.

Edit: I wrote a review of the Shak and the Shadow. Check the Reader Reviews.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US
    Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

If you are the right size, you can get the a Capilene 4 Hoody, blue color, in women's size Large from altrec.com for $33 (inc. free shipping) when you use the coupon "lucky50". It might be too warm, but for that price I'm willing to try it or just have it as something nice to wear around in cooler weather.

here's a link to the page

EDIT:
    Patagonia lists the weight at 9.5oz. Also, if you need a size smaller than L, the hoody is on sale at the Patagonia main site.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools