Topic

Cottonwood Lakes to Whitney Portal

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Cottonwood Lakes to Whitney Portal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

So this trip is coming up and I have two questions.

First, is regarding a shuttle. I'll be doing the trip solo. I plan to leave the car at the Portal and take a shuttle to the trailhead. It's $50 from Lone Pine to Horseshoe Meadows and its $85 from the Portal to Horseshoe Meadows. How hard is it to hitchhike down to Lone Pine from the Portal? Is it worth saving $35 and hoping I make it down in time to meet the shuttle?

Second, the is my first solo trip. I'm considering going up through the Miter Basin rather than going around via Mt. Guyot. I haven't done much off trail travel. Should I stick to a route I know and avoid the Miter Basin? How difficult of a route is it?

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I haven't done this before BUT my logic says its better to not rely on finding someone to take you to Lone Pine which could throw off the schedule for your whole day.

Mike

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools