Topic

Midwest GGG this fall

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Midwest GGG this fall

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I would be good for any oct date except the first weekend. Since MN seems to be the area of choice could someone up there do the leg work on finding a place to hold this? I do have a old MN guidebook but have no knowledge of what the parks would be like. So everybody what weekends work and where are we gonna do this?

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Either one sounds good to me Josh, looking forward to seeing you and winnie again. Fishing is not a priority. Thanks for checking on those. I guess we will wait for others opinions and what dates work best. Please let us know if you can make it friday and or saturday night.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Mary and I will try to make it.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Beaver Creek Valley State Park has been mentioned more than once and its location is relatively central to the northern midwest. There are three primitive group sites, two handle up to 15 people, the other can handle 60 and they appear to be currently available the last weekend of October (Oct 26-28). Cost is $50 per night (plus some small fee to the reservation service, I think.

Questions:

1) One night or two?
    2) Are we willing all pitch in to share the cost?
    3) Who can commit?

If we end up doing two nights I think it'd be fairest to divide up the cost of each night separately so that folks staying only one night are not paying for something they did not use.

Mitchell Rossman

@bigmitch

Locale: Minneapolis-St. Paul

I am interested, depending upon the date..

The camping cost is minimal, so I will pay for two nights, even if I only stay for one. Anything to make life easy for the organizer.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Mary and I should be able to make it that weekend. Since it is only about a 65 yard hike from the parking lot grilling would be in order.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Has anyone been to Beaver Creek Vally SP before I have read a little on line and talked to the ranger. Depending on turn out we might get along with the walk in sites as they are only $16 per night I doubt we will see the group sites fill this time of year so maybe wait just a bit on resevations, what do ya think??? David and Josh yeah I think grilling is in order

Mary R
    BPL Member

@pietimer

I should be able to make it + 1

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

I will bring up to 8 steaks Friday night. Same ones as last time. Will also bring my BWCA pan with to do fried potatoes.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Josh,
    Go for it. I agree the group site would be better.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

If the site will hold six four person tents it will most likely only hold six solo tents maybe we should opt for the big site just in case? Then again we could always get a few extra sites if needed so Im good on what ever. Steaks sound great.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Now that my Oct schedule seems to be set I can finally say … Count me in, both nights.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

If the site will hold six four person tents it will most likely only hold six solo tents maybe we should opt for the big site just in case? Then again we could always get a few extra sites if needed so Im good on what ever. Steaks sound great.

Looking at the park map … the "main campground" is about 1/2 mile from the group camp area. But there appear to be walk-in and cart-in sites near the group sites.

I'd tend to lean towards whichever group site is roomier. But it might be smartest to get a count of how many tents there will be and how much room they require?

I'll start … I'll be in either:
    * a MYOG tarptent, roughly 5ft by 8ft plus some room for guy lines on three sides
    * a shaped tarp, based on but slightly smaller than the Jay Ham tarp plans available here on BPL. Roughly 8ft by 6ft plus room for guylines on all four sides

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Tarptent Moment if I am alone otherwise a SMD Haven.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Good job Josh. Looking forward to some grilling and gear geeking.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Josh,

Thanks for arranging this!

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Thanks for getting that lined up Josh

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Hey guys and gals,
    I just got back from spending 5 glorious days with Mark Ries on the SHT. Mark and I will supply a meal of steak, potato, and grillin beans Friday night to kick things off. We will need a firm head count by October 24th. Also this would be a great time to bring along plenty of gear for show and tell and possibly a swap. Mark will probably flesh that thought out somewhat better. I have inserted a link to our hike pictures which featured possibly the best fall colors I have ever seen. We did the section from Cook Cty 1 to State Hwy 1 (about 42 Miles) from Sept 29 – Oct 3).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1948n/sets/72157631691988454/

Dave

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

I just called the park ranger at Beaver Creek and he said the water will be turned off on the 22nd but that we can get water in the shop area. There will be someone working 8-4 on both Friday and Saturday so wood will have to be picked up during those hours. Let's start chatting so we can get that stuff covered.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools