Topic

Mt Whitney new years eve – reg trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Mt Whitney new years eve – reg trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jason Torres
    BPL Member

@burytherails

Locale: Texas

Hello everyone,

Has anyone done the regular trail up Whitney in the winter? I know my way around an axe and crampons (mountaineers route is shorter, easier & more dangerous) but my wife will be along and I don't mind spending a little more time on trail so that she is comfortable.

Would like to hear any trip reports (couldn't locate any) or any solid advice anyone may offer. Wisdom is greatly appreciated.

I am a solid hiker, climber, and have traveled In the winter many times from the Tetons to Yosemite. Wife is very fit and has no trouble with 14+hr trail days.

Thanks for any advice. It is appreciated

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I have not been up there at that time, but I can tell you that conditions up there at that time are completely unpredictable from here and now. It may be a horrific storm or beautifully clear and cold; there may be five feet of snow on the ground or almost none (like the 1st of this year). So the trail may or may not be a viable alternative, and you won't know until about a week before.

For all things Whitney, this is the site to visit:

http://whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1&page=1

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools