Topic

Review my gear list please? 9lb pack. 5 lb clothes.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Review my gear list please? 9lb pack. 5 lb clothes.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Here is my gear list in Google Docs form.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkBAy3nnEh65dG9JS2RKVXBCTFhNLXVMSTBjVDFGV1E#gid=2

I've been obsessing about weight here for the last 4 months or so and I think I've got it pretty tuned.

Would love feedback though.

– My shoes need upgrading. I'm still working this out because my feet are the most unpredictable aspect of my whole system and getting shoes that are lightweight and don't wreck my feet has been a challenge.

– I am a hammock camper. I could PROBABLY get down 2 or more pounds lighter but I think I would be uncomfortable. The hammock is just awesome. It's AMAZINGLY nice to have it in the back country.

– I could probably go with Gossamer Gear poles but they would require that I install custom hand straps I think.

– Not going to ditch the fishing rod. This is 1/2 the point for me :) … plus it's free weight since its 0.5 lbs and I usually catch at least 2-3 lbs of fish to eat which is protein I don't have to pack in.

– I could ditch the iphone but I have wikipedia offline, MP3 player, podcasts and this helps preserve sanity. Same thing with Kindle.

– Maybe I could ditch the clothing stuff sack. However, it helps me preserve sanity since I don't have to worry about lost clothes.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Two things that stand out to me are your FAK is almost 9 ounces, are you really going to need all that? Also, ditch the kindle and read from your iphone, the kindle is dead weight and its not even close.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I like the hammock! I wish I could sleep in one, but then I never tried a Blackbird.

I don't think a Houdini would stand up to more than a light sprinkle of rain, but maybe that's all you're expecting.

You could probably reduce weight here if it matters enough to you:
    first aid kit
    stove (if Esbit or just a twig fire would work)

Edit:
    You could keep your extra clothing with your quilts to eliminate the additional stuff sack.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

It's a good idea to ditch the Kindle for the iphone… for 2-3 day treks I think this could be doable. I wish I could do the reverse though. The Kindle is AMAZINGLY good with power but I would lose Wikipedia. I'm not sure I can get a week on standby on the iPhone though…

For 2-5 days though I think I could leave the Kindle behind but I wouldn't be able to take videos/pics with the iphone as the battery will fade.

Of course for the weight of the Kindle I might be able to get a recharger setup and then not have to worry about it AT ALL.

I will investigate rechargers.

Good point on the first aid kit… I'm going to tweak this when I get home.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Get a battery pack or a solar charger for your phone, or something else. My iphone 4s takes great pictures and video so if you can find out a way to keep the battery alive then let me know. Its a great multi purpose tool. But bringing the kindle on 3-4 day hikes AND your phone in just too much, make a sacrifice somewhere, or in both spots.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools