Topic

Three piece 5′ spinning rod?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Three piece 5′ spinning rod?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Are there any vendors that make a three piece 5' ultralight spinning rod?

I have a two piece rod now. The weight savings won't be massive but having three pieces will prevent it from sticking out past the end of my pack.

The travel rods kind of suck. While they are compact the sensitivity sucks. I realize I will be trading some sensitivity for the three piece 5' rod but I think it would be reasonable.

I'm *kind* of a snob when it comes to fishing rods and I don't want to use a piece of junk while I'm out there. Most of the ultralight tradeoffs are somewhat reasonable though.

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

I've been wanting the same thing and have not really found it. Closest so far were the following:

Bass Pro Shops Microlite 3 piece light action 5 1/2 foot rod – heavier than what I really wanted, but serviceable

Shakespeare Ugly Stik 3 piece light action 5 foot rod – a bit of a broomstick, but it's one of the few rods I have that's tough enough to stick it in the pack's side pouch without a case of some kind, even when bushwhacking

Daiwa spin-matic x ultralight 4 piece rod, in range of lengths. It's 4 pieces, but it has much better feel for ultralight fishing than either of the 3 piece light action rods.

If you find something better, please let us know!

Best,

Bill S.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

I found this and bought it from Cabelas.

http://tinyurl.com/9ddhhco

Looks like JUST what I want. It's 5'6" and 76g and 4 pieces.

if the action and sensitivity are good I think I will be set.

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

Which rod is it? That url only gets me to the Cabelas home page.

Thanks!

Bill S.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

My buddy had two of the Spinmatic 4-parters on our recent trip, and I fished with one for a bit. That's a neat pole that breaks down nicely and has a better feel than my son's collapsible Shakespeare "travel mate" rod. It cost three times as much, though.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Hundred bucks?! Gnarly. Now, which reel is worthy of such a fine pole?

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

I bought an ultralight 5oz reel and I wasn't happy with it… it doesn't engage quickly after I cast and it has a high amount of resistance so it makes it harder to focus on feeling for a hit.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Did you buy the St. Croix? You like? I have a $10 Cabela's telescopic, but it's med-light, I'd like an ultralight rod..mulling over price and convenience factor.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

yup… here's my review:

YouTube video

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools