Topic

Already have a 40 degre quilt, what to get for fall and winter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Already have a 40 degre quilt, what to get for fall and winter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

I have a down GoLite 40 degree quilt. I'm quite happy with it, but I wouldn't trust it at anything below 45 or so.

This year I plan on doing some late fall and winter trips, expected temperatures are 10-30 degrees. Quite a spread but… What quilt/bag would you recommend?

I'm actually thinking of a quilt to cover 15/20-40 range and a bag to cover anything below that.

What do you think? Recommend?

zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

Locale: SoCal

Get a 20-ish degree bag for autumn, and bring both bag and quilt for winter.

Nick G

@hermesul

I can't speak for them myself, because I haven't gotten mine yet, but the Enlightened Equipment Revelation X quilts come on high recommendation from everyone I talk to. I plan on using a 0 degree Rev X quilt with a warm pad combo in winter, but haven't tested it.

Zpacks (I hear) makes nice bags, and even lighter. However, they are roughly $100-$200 more expensive, in my opinion not worth it for a couple ounces saved.

I'll soon be getting my UL sleeping bags in the mail (Rev X for winter, Golite Adrenaline for summer), so I'll be able to speak from experience rather than other's recommendation.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a 20 degree Zpacks hybrid quilt bag w/2 ounces of overfill that for me is good to about 15 degrees. Joe has now a 10 degree bag. I have a couple synthetic quilts Tim Marshall made me 3 and 4 years ago. Both make nice quilts..

David Ure

@familyguy

Definitely not a quilt, especially without a bivy.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

20F en-rated bag … youll be good to ~0-10F

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'd push the 40F quilt to 30F with warm clothing/smart site selection and then grab a 15F bag for the winter stuff.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I agree with people above.

Use high loft clothing to extend current quilt to just below freezing (when you'll be glad with the warm clothes anyway), use a bivy if in a drafty shelter like a tarp.

Then use a 20 degree mummy bag with the warm clothes down to ~0F, then layer your summer quilt over all that for real cold winter days.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Dan and Tjaard have the right idea :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools