Topic

Late Summer, mid-Appalachian mountains

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Late Summer, mid-Appalachian mountains

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Gear list in profile here (PDF)

Feel free to critique and ask questions. My goal is light and simple.

* night temps possibly down to 30F, likely down to 45F
    * light snow possbile
    * mostly forested, some expansive open areas with scattered spruce groves for quick shelter
    * elevations: 2,000-4000 feet
    * water generally clean and plentiful, might purify with tablets in some locations
    * cooking over a fire

Locations: West Virginia wilderness areas, including Cranberry, Dolly Sods, Otter Creek

Nick G

@hermesul

You've definitely achieved the goal of light and simple, I'd say.

However, there might be an opportunity here or there to lighten even further:
    1. For that weight, you could go with the GG Murmer Hyperlight, at 8 oz (7 oz savings).
    2. Depending on use, you could bring a razor blade instead of a knife.
    3. A few other >1 oz savings, such as substituting a lighter bottle, wallet, losing the watch, etc.

Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I would freeze my butt off if it got down into the 30s. I would probably be cold in the 40s as well. I don't see any insulation except for your sleeping bag.

Personally, I would bring along the following for those temps in the areas you specified:

synth t-shirt
    L/S top (merino in the fall, synth in summer)
    tights or long underwear (instead of pants)
    running shorts
    wind shirt (added warmth)
    2 pairs of socks (one for hiking one for sleeping. My feet almost always get wet)

If expecting temps into the 30s, I would consider bringing a down vest and another layer for the legs like wind pants. Any colder than that and I'm bringing a down jacket.

I need to post my gear list this evening so you can pick away at mine!

Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Have you cooked with a beer can pot over fire? How do you like it? I've used them with alcohol stoves and found that there was a fiddle factor when it came to balance. I also didn't like eating out of them. I have no problem with them for FBC though.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'm curious what you define as "late Summer"? Having been in the South all of my life, I'd say this is late Summer now and we're not getting overnight temps anywhere near the mid 40s (mid 50s at best). For this time of year, I think you'll be ok with your clothing. Once Fall rolls in a little more and it does drop to the 40s or even 30s, I agree with the freezing comment above. Of course several years ago when I was considerably heavier, I spent a comfy weekend in the Smokies with overnight lows in the low teens wearing nothing but softshell pants and a thermawrap jacket. If it gets anywhere near 30 now I'm taking my Infinity Endurance. In the 40s I'd take my Xenon and be wearing softshell pants if moving slowly or compression shorts if fast. Obviously comfort levels vary depending on a lot of variables we can't account for on here.

Also, if we're talking about current season I'd want bug protection at night. The skeeters are still out. :-)

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

If your cooking over a fire I would go with titanium (Evernew 640ml 90grams with lid or something), it doesnt give off harmfull amounts of aluminum and it will be worth the weight and they last forever.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is a great light and simple list. My back would be hurting w/out any kind of pad. A 43 inch long torso pad, 1/2 inch thick from Suluk 46 weighs only 3.5 ounces. Maybee you lay on a bed of leaves, myself need at least a little foam. Still very nice liast, have fun!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry, I see your foam pad, great list!!

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Great idea Andy. I think I too will pretend I am getting to go hike someplace halfway warm so I can make a light pack list. :)

(edit: just complaining after seeing temps in the low 20s and freezing my blank off a couple weeks ago around here.)

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Add a fleece top ~ 12 oz
    Consider light long john bottoms or running tights ~ 6 oz if expect temps below 45
    maybe tyvek pants or rain skirt (maybe)

and your pretty much set for late summer in appalachians.

May find the 30F bag still too hot , even unzipped unless temps in 40s, which it may not reach until early morning. Lighter options like a 40-50 F thermal sheet (they appear to have stopped making them!) or quilt run 14-16 oz.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Thanks for the great feedback!

September is late summer to me. Bugs aren't usually much of an issue in these areas, but it was nice to have repellent when I did encounter them. I'll throw in an ounce of picaridin or lemon/eucalyptus Repel just for a sanity safety net. :)

The Murmur is a good idea. I'm trying not to buy more gear. I might try making a simple silnylon pack. I'm thinking I could make one in the 4-6 oz range.

I have a 0.8 oz 1 liter Platypus. I put the bottle on the list because it's easier to use when washing hands. I might try the Platy again though and see if I can make it work.

I need to think about the wallet and keys more. Sure it's only a few ounces, but no need to carry useless weight and more stuff.

I'm planning to wrap my sleeping bag under my rain jacket for insulation when lounging around camp. It wouldn't surprise me to have to do some pushups and running when sitting around camp to warm up if night temps hit 30F.

If daytime temps are lower than about 60F, I'll likely add rain pants, silnylon chaps, or replace the nylon pants with light softshell pants. I'd also likely add a fleece top if daytime temps are that low.

Stephen: I don't think I've ever used a beer can over a fire. I have used it over alcohol and Esbit stoves. I did use a larger stainless steel water bottle to boil water once on a campfire. It's definitely awkward. And, I'll have to be careful not to melt the aluminum.

I have the Evernew 600 ml titanium flat pot. It's 3.4 oz, but it would be more practical over the fire, and probably worth the weight due to that and the lack of possibly BPA-enriched water.

I'm doing freezer bag cooking to avoid cleanup.

Thinking about it a little more, I probably need my Montbell pillow to sleep well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools