Aug 21, 2012 at 6:57 pm #1293217
I have a loop i'd like to do and see if anyone else is interested.. Bryce.. Clint.. Ryan?
Would start at Crawford notch, go up Willey, Field, Tom. across the A-Z trail to Zealand Pond and do either Hale out and back or the loop, back south across the AT/ethan pond trail. 24mi total
would add 4 more 4k's to my list :)
Edit: added map for detail.Aug 21, 2012 at 10:23 pm #1904819
I'm going on a gear test run this weekend, starting at Jefferson on Friday morning.
I'm planning staying at the Nauman campsite on Friday night, passing through the Zealand area Saturday, staying at the shelter south of Guyot, and hiking out over the Bonds on Sunday.
Any ideas for how to link these plans together?Aug 21, 2012 at 10:41 pm #1904833
Not this weekend. I'm climbing at Rumney Friday and Sunday with a day hike to do the Osceolas saturday.Aug 22, 2012 at 10:01 am #1904922
Any chance you're open to hiking with new people / are you looking to hike this in one day or overnight? I'm about an hour-ish south of the White Mountains.
I've been up Field and Tom, but was in the rain and would love to go up again.
-JaredAug 22, 2012 at 10:24 am #1904928
Probably an overnight mostly because the days are getting shorterSep 2, 2012 at 7:40 pm #1908573
Looks like this might happen either Sept 15 weekend or Sept 22 weekend. I have to check with my friend who is interested. Hopefully some nice late summer weather.Sep 4, 2012 at 1:28 pm #1909025
I'm tentatively in! Thanks for mentioning this to me, Jake– I haven't browsed the forums here in a while, so I would have missed this otherwise. At the moment, I have no plans for those weekends yet, but I'll have to check with my girlfriend ;)
edit: oops… the 22nd I might be accompanying a friend of mine on her NE4K's finish. 15th might work, though.Sep 4, 2012 at 7:21 pm #1909144
15th could work. my tent shipped today from NC so it should be here in time for me to get it seam sealed upSep 7, 2012 at 4:00 pm #1910176
@walksoftly33Locale: New England
Hey thanks for pointing this out Ryan.
I think next weekend the 15th could work for me, I have a softball game I will have to skip, (Im heartbroken over it)
I have failed terribly this summer getting into the whites, there is still time to salvage the season. Lets do it!Sep 7, 2012 at 4:53 pm #1910195
Woo! I will most likely go up the friday night after the football game i'm working and sleep in my car at the trailhead or nearby (shhhh i'm stealthy.. like a ghost)Sep 9, 2012 at 5:12 am #1910518
Yes! This will be my first trip to the Whites since winter, so I'm looking forward to it, too. It'll be good to catch up with you, Clint… I'm also pondering going up Friday night, but not sure yet. Whatever the plan, I'm pretty happy with the idea of getting into some big mountains again.Sep 9, 2012 at 6:25 am #1910527
we have the choice of either the Willey house trailhead or Willey house station.
i'm psyched too to finally hike with folks with gear lighter than mine. should be fun to see. debating between my apex 2.5 quilt and my 20 deg SubKilo down bag…Sep 12, 2012 at 6:46 pm #1911777
@walksoftly33Locale: New England
I am thinking of heading up early Saturday morning. Its about two hours from me so I will wake up as early as needed to get there for when ever. Do we have a time in mind? I was thinking of leaving around 5 for 7 ocklock, to late to early?
Where do we plan on crashing Saturday night?
What do the miles Sunday look like?Sep 13, 2012 at 8:45 am #1911923
Email Ryan. I've had to move my plans to Sunday-monday due to a work opportunity.Sep 14, 2012 at 8:06 pm #1912346
I know it's not crazy for this crowd but my pack with 1L of water is right at 20lb for the weekend :) that is with my 20deg down bag and 800fill puffy b/c sunday night looks cold.Sep 22, 2012 at 5:14 pm #1914740
I've had some packed weekends and haven't been able to make it out lately =(Sep 22, 2012 at 6:26 pm #1914772
I read that wrong and was wondering what kind of trip you thought this was ;)
Ryan and Clint went clockwise Saturday and Sunday. I went counter clockwise (my track roots live on!) Sunday and Monday and met them near the summit of Mt Field. Talked for a while until Clint was frozen and we continued on our ways. I camped near the summit of Mt Hale. due to the convenience of the Zealand Hut I didn't have to filter water either day :)
I did decide that I sleep pretty cold and I'd like to find something warmer than my REI sub Kilo 20*.
My trip ended up being 27mi including a pack-less side trip to Mt Zealand.
42 peaks down… 6 to go. :)
Washington in the clouds.. hour later clear skies.
Pond near Zealand hut.. best foliage color on the loop.
Lightheart Solo in action
zeacliff trail.. umm steep?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.