Topic

Tuolumne to Devils Postpile in late September?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Tuolumne to Devils Postpile in late September?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John Pain

@iceberglake

Locale: Road trip

Wondering if anyone has any good weather/climate resources or thoughts for a short trip from Tuolumne Meadows to Devils Postpile and back via the JMT from Sept. 22-28. Is that getting too late for snow? Thanks. John

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I got snowed in on Oct 1st, I think it was 2009 in the Roughs in the Hoover Wilderness.
    It just depends on the year whether you see snow that early or not.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Anthony is right…though I would guess that late Sept. is pretty safe…The Nice thing about your route is that you have multiple bail points…though I feel you will not need them. I would consider this, it will be getting cooler at night…maybe some frost on yer bag but really that is about it. Late shoulder season in the Sierra is AMAZING!

John Pain

@iceberglake

Locale: Road trip

I appreciate the advice. I can't wait. My first time in the Sierras!

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Much fewer t-storms this time of year too!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I've been snowed on/out for the last 4 years for trips either to Yosemite or JM Wilderness areas in early Oct. However, in a day or two, it cleared up and was nice again. One year I was hiking in my shorts thru 4 " of snow the second day out, ate dinner in my sb that night to warm up. The third day out, swimming at a lake with my gear on rocks/logs drying out, well worth hanging in there. The last two years I just did the PCT close to home, hiking where I had not been before or car camping close to home that week. This year I'm going late Sept. for a road trip I think.
    Duane

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools