Topic

2013 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2013 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Two hints:

-gradient is at least as relevant as basin size (if you have to swim it's nice if the water is slow)

-Granite Creek is occasionally kayaked at the very height of run off

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hey Dave, given your penchant for multisport travel, you'd probably appreciate this: http://www.powdermag.com/videos/salomon-freeski-tv-poor-mans-heli/#.UT90QTXXtP0.facebook

Maybe I should bring a paraglider to the Open… It sure would make those pesky river crossings easier… :)

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

gogogadget copter

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

So I bought the map set and set the planned route. I convinced myself that this wont be any worse than early season Sierra trips. So now it's down to flight and car logistics. It would be great if I can fly in Friday morning. It sounds like there will be some shuttling going on Friday from the end point to the start. Anyone have any idea what time that would be leaving Bear Creek?

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Greg, that's what Chris and I are doing. We fly in Friday morning and would participate in the car shuttling. Here's what Dave said earlier about this:

"In early April I'll take a survey of for-sure participants and if numbers dictate suggest that we split the costs of renting a minivan which will get us all to the start. I'd take payment as a reservation at that time."

So no firm plans yet but I am sure we can accommodate you as long as you don't arrive too late.

I was thinking that we could hide the keys to the car shuttle vehicle at Benchmark somewhere so that if anybody has to bail they could have a transportation option there and then also take care of bringing the shuttle car back to Essex.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I fly into great Falls Thursday evening and will either get a hotel in town or head directly to the finish point and crash. I do have a rental so I can help pull off some shuttle logistics. My current plan is to attempt this in roughly two days though conditions will ultimately decide. I fly out Tuesday morning at 7:00am so I will be done on Monday even if it takes some night hiking. I'm looking forward to visiting this part of the country and meeting another batch of BPL folks. I will warn you all about one thing. Snow has a habit of following me. I hiked the PCT in 2011…. Record snow year. R2R2R last year, snow. Hiked a few days with Swami on the AT, snow. See the pattern! Now I just need to just myself back into fighting shape :O

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Woo hoo!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

"I went ahead and pulled the trigger."
    Excellent. You won't regret it.

I fly out Tuesday morning at 7:00am
    Gutsy. Having a bit of motivation is nice, and if things go poorly you're only out a few hundred. I'm supposed to make the 20 hour drive back to Ontario and be at work Tuesday at 6am. My boss can't authorize any more time off than this, but it's a wink-nudge situation because he knows I won't make it.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

As regards the shuttle, my hope would be to recruit someone to be the driver so that no one will have to go back to Benchmark to fetch it. If a van rental is necessary this also saves cash.

Probable schedule would be leaving the Flathead in the afternoon, meet at Bear Creek in the late afternoon, and shuttle. You can camp at Bear Creek, or in numerous locations along highway 2 to the east, if you are so inclined.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I like the idea of recruiting someone to be the driver as not having to go back to Benchmark to fetch a car would certainly make things easier. I'm more than happy to chip in my fair share to make it happen.

Our flight is scheduled to arrive in Kalispell at 11:37am on Friday, so being at Bear Creek in the late afternoon shouldn't be a problem.

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

This may be way off base but, is there any viability to following riverbanks? Say maybe hiking the banks of the middle fork? My thinking is that there should be a relatively clear and direct path that's free of snow.

On another note, the new ruta loctura raft seems perfect for this trip!

Cyrus Dietz
    Spectator

@cycalvin

Locale: Midwest

My BMWO plans are coming together. At this point Kate and I are driving out from Minnesota and will be camping at Benchmark Creek Campground a couple days ahead of the event. Friday morning we are picking up a rental car and shuttling it to Bear Creek trail head, from there we will head back to Benchmark in my vehicle. I am estimating arrival at Bear Creek around 1:00pm. I will have an empty vehicle with room for 4 or 5 other people plus gear. So if anyone is interested in a ride from there let me know. Having a few people ride share would help cut the cost of the rental car and my carbon foot print…

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

This could fit my timing quite nicely. I will be at Bear Creek sometime either Thursday night or Friday morning.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Cyrus, if you could give some folks a ride that would be great. Between you and me we might be able to get away without a rental van. Folks, if you're for sure coming right now I'd encourage you to make arrangements with Cyrus. I can then pick up the stragglers who come out of the woodwork later.

"This may be way off base but, is there any viability to following riverbanks? Say maybe hiking the banks of the middle fork? My thinking is that there should be a relatively clear and direct path that's free of snow."

Not sure why you'd want to, there is a trail the whole way.

"On another note, the new ruta loctura raft seems perfect for this trip!"

Tyler, you're scaring me. There is no water on any likely route which I'd want to float in that boat, especially in late May.

The snowpack below 5k continues to be decimiated by warm weather. What that will mean for us is still up in the air, but the contrast with the last two years is drastic.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Cyrus,
    Count me in for sure.

Greg Gedney
    BPL Member

@ggedney

Locale: Rocky Mountain Region

I agree with Dave, if you are going to raft I would suggest nothing less that Alpaca rafts. With regard to carpooling, I plan on flying into Kalispell on that Thursday and would be all for contributing to the car pool fund. I would appreciate a ride from either Dave or Cyrus.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Cyrus, Chris and I would be interested in carpooling too. We arrive in Kalispell at 11:39AM that Friday, then we have to rent a car and go buy some bear spray and fuel, so we might not be able to make it to Bear Creek until 2:00 PM or so. If that's too late we can try to coordinate with Dave.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I'm hoping for a car pool from Bear Creek, but 1 pm is a bit early for me. I could make it happen, but was hoping to leave Ontario after work on Thursday (less days off) and then roll into Bear Creek mid-late afternoon.

Cyrus Dietz
    Spectator

@cycalvin

We can work out a time that works for everyone, and it sounds like Dave will be comming through later in the day. I was looking forward to checking out the area Friday afternoon anyway. I am so stoked!

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Hah, yeah it seems that i'm heading in the wrong direction with my route planning. Working off google earth has a learning curve that i dont think i've really made it past.

Dont worry guys, I wont be rafting anything :)

I'll have the Cairn maps soon!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Tyler,
    I'm still try to learn this new area, Montana. I was all excited watching the last few days, the Flathead was running about 50% above median. Today the flow was just over 1600cfs which is in the 75th percentile. I lost my enthusiasm a bit when I saw this chart. I realized how insignificant that 1600cfs really was. Look at the mean flow for the dates of our trip.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/dvstat/?site_no=12358500&por_12358500_4=66258,00060,4

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Looks like the melt is proceeding nicely in the Bob. Good to see spring is showing up somewhere.

I picked up some MSR Shift snowshoes yesterday. I still think I'm going to want those – at least for the upcoming training if not the actual event.

MF Flathead

Cyrus Dietz
    Spectator

@cycalvin

I hear you Dan, here in Minnesota it appears we are still in the middle of winter. I was amazed at how fast the middle fork picked up volume! Around here most of the lakes have a foot of ice on them and the rivers are flowing below the 25 percentile.

I want to be in Montana…

casey redder
    BPL Member

@credder

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I might see you guys up there… want to find the "secret" path to the top of the wall… burnt creek i believe… went last year to indian point about the time you guys are leaving… the litte streams were pumping and the prarrie that indian point is next to was a marsh… lots of bear sign too.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Be great to have you Casey. Was just down in your neck of the woods for a conference; great singletrack right outside town.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools