Topic

Source for freeze-dried HUNKS of meat?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Source for freeze-dried HUNKS of meat?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

One of the more popular Mtn House meals my Scouts ate on a recent trip was the potatoes and chicken breast meal with the "whole breast" (and grill marks) chicken hunks. I was happy to see them try that one, and we discussed how we'd make that ourselves with the Ore-Ida Loaded Red instant taters and… that we have to find that chicken.

Packit Gourmet makes some great meats, but I don't see any source for whole chunks (or dried, bacon-wrapped filet) of chicken, like those Mtn House breast/rib meat. After a week out, we found the emotional value of a "civilized looking" hunk of meat with smoked paprika dashed over the top to be quite tangible.

Does anyone have any insight for sources of such a thing?

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I have wondered the same thing. I've got a buddy that is found of that dinner too, but packit gourmet only sells chunked freeze dried chicken. It is one of the more expensive freeze dried meals out there, but if you can source the chicken it is ridiculously easy to replicate.

Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Reginald, I didn't find any listing for whole filets on the Provident Pantry link you posted there. Did I overlook something?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I am guessing that it is easier to freeze dry big chunks than it is to dehydrate them however the bigger the piece the longer it will take to re-hydrate, so maybe that is the reason why.
    Franco

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Whether it is freeze-dried or air dehydrated, small pieces of meat work a lot better than large pieces. When the pieces are all less than one centimeter across, you get a lot better consistency when rehydrated. You could do large pieces, like three centimeters, but you would end up with a lump that has a wet outside and a crunchy center.

If you really like your meat, then just use lots and lots of little pieces.

–B.G.–

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

All that's generally true, fellas, but the freeze-dried, whole "rib filet" chicken hunks in the Mountain House meal rehydrate Very Nicely and are tasty, too. These are 4×5 inches, and 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. It's seriously a nice piece of instant food.

Anyway, after hunting around, I have exhausted my skills in the search. If someone finds or discerns who's making these, other than MH, it will be a nice find, for sure.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Call MH, they probably do it in house.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools