Topic

Help me plan a loop in Evolution area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Help me plan a loop in Evolution area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Brian Raap

@braap

Locale: Bay Area

I went over Lamarck 3 years ago from the east side. In fact that was my first ever backpacking trip! I echo what others have said in that it is not especially difficult to find, but from the west it might be a little harder. If you want GPS coordinates, there are a couple people that have posted their tracks on Everytrail that you can download:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=296889

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=349998

Keep in mind that these are not mine, and you should use them at your own risk. However, a quick glance at them it seems like they both follow the same route and top out at the correct place. Good luck and have fun! That is a great trip.

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

Christopher, it wasn't my intention to scare you. Just to point out that Lamarck Col is harder to find from the west than the east.
    Here is a recent discussion from High Sierra Topix http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8077&p=58986#p58986

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

No problem Katy! I appreciate the info.

Bob was mentioning it would be difficult to do Evolution to N. lake in a day given all the route finding and such. I think I saw in Bob's last trip report that he hiked from roads end to Reflection lake in a day. 20 miles with 4K ft elevation change, which I could not have done so I'm guessing I should split up the evolution to N. lake route if he says it will be hard.

I'm planning on camping at Darwin bench to help shorten that distance. But just so I have options, are there good places to camp in between the Darwin bench and N. lake?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I think I saw in Bob's last trip report that he hiked from roads end to Reflection lake in a day. 20 miles with 4K ft elevation change, "

Christopher, you have your facts wrong.

–B.G.–

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Sorry Bob, Here's the actual quote:

"On Day 1, I hit the trail at Roads End at 6 a.m. and arrived at Lake Reflection by 3 p.m. That is about 15 miles and 5000 feet of gain, and I can do that only on my first day when I am fresh. Unfortunately, the sky was not cooperating and photography was somewhat limited. It rained before 4 p.m."

5K ft and 15 miles in a day is still freken hardcore. I've done 15 miles many times, but never gaining 5K ft. I think I'd pass out.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

From google earth I can see tons of parking at South lake near the trailhead. Is there plentiful camping as well near the parking lot or up the trail a little? I'm spending a night there to acclimate so I'd prefer to stay under 10K ft or so.
    Given the size of the parking lot I'm guessing it can get crowded?

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Christopher – Re evolution to North Lake in a day: I came out over Lamarck col at the end of a backcountry ski trip in late May 2011, and we went from just below the evolution outlet to Grass Lake in a day, despite having to deal with extremely high winds going up to Lamarck – wind such that we had to wait for the lulls to be able to move. So that slowed us down a lot. This was a ski trip, but the conditions at the time were such that we were walking on top of the snow that day. So getting to North Lake in a day is not a major challenge, especially on the last day when you're the most acclimatized and your pack is at its lightest.

Re finding the correct notch at Lamarck Col – don't sweat it. It's not a big deal if you hit the one with the sign. We didn't. No problem.

re campsites on the way – depends on the weather and what kind of spots you like and whether you can find water. I general, not many that suit most people's tastes. But If I were you, I would plan to camp somewhere at Darwin Bench, because it is a special spot. and from there, getting to North Lake should be no problem. The worst case is it turns out to be a long day for you, and so what – the car is waiting to take you to the fleshpots of Bishop.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

heya, Just a quick bump. I'm planning to acclimate overnight at the South lake trailhead. (I live at sea level) Are there ample places to camp either at the trailhead or within a mile or so? Any tips?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Usually you only get the permit for your day of entry, I get mine the day before, so I can't start my trip on time. Last time at South Lake, I drove most of the way up, checked out the last campground and talked to a guy who was car camping by himself, asked him if I could camp there too, only having to pay for a extra car. Bonus, he had extra beer and he was someone to chat with until bedtime. We got to watch as a long motorhome came thru, turned around in the tight turn around and as they were going past a large tree, watched the driver as he did not pay attention to the rear of that beast and take out the rear of his home on wheels. I got up early the next morning before he was up, packed up, drove the short distance to the TH, ate breakfast there as parking is on the short side.
    Duane

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks Duane. Would you say there's a lot of good places to camp there? I'm leaving my car at North lake and getting a ride to South lake, so I won't need to park.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Christopher I think you are over analyzing this trip. There are plenty of places to camp at both trailheads. Just go with the flow in terms of shuttle and camping. Heck, you can even get a cheap hotel in Bishop if need be. Just have fun!

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Yep I'm kinda famous for over analyzing my trip planning. Sorry for all the questions. :)

I did hear from someone recently who believed that there's no camping at South lake or the first several miles of the trail. But there is a campsite 5 miles before South lake at a place called Willow camp. Is that incorrect?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Yes. Or you can hike a few miles from South Lake at the first lake and stay there. Only a few miles. That's what we did on our first night

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Christopher,
    There are a few campgrounds on the way to South Lake, I just hate paying, but the higher you can camp the night before, the better to acclimate. One trip I did camp down in the valley before the road climbed out of the low valley. I stayed the night along the creek where some dirt roads take off from the highway going to South and North Lakes, way below Aspen. My last trip, I could not see any place to stealth camp close to the TH, you'd have to hike in a ways then could suffer consequences of illegal camping/too early entry. Check out the CG's on the drive up for empty sites if you don't mind paying to stay in a CG. There is a small lodge on the way to South Lake, you have to cross by foot, a bridge to get to it. There used to be info over on Highsierratopix regarding it. On a side note, it is good to go armed with as much info as possible, but things do work out when only armed with limited info, go with the flow. On my vacation a month ago, I walked into Mammoth Visitor Center early afternoon and got my permit for the next days entry.
    Duane

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks guys!
    I think I may actually stay my first night at North lake since it looks like there's a campground there. Then get a ride over to South lake early in the morning to start my trip.

Totally appreciate all the info.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Catch a ride? Um, I had trouble at the end of my first trip in the area, I was below Piute Pass at one of the lakes there, made the TH too early, walked/jogged most of the way to the turnoff to the road up to South Lake before I caught two hitchhikes. Walk-in cg at N Lake.
    Duane

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools