Topic

What’s everyone working on? (Upcoming projects…etc)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear What’s everyone working on? (Upcoming projects…etc)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

I'm waiting on a pretty big order of materials to arrive and I'm getting anxious so I wanted to see what everyone is working on and what they have planned for the future.

Here's my own list:

Complete Hammock Camping Setup – 1.1 ripstop Hammock, bugnet and 1.3oz Sil tarp

Down Pillow w/ stuffsack

Down Bag/Quilt

Water pack – for my other hobbies of cycling/running. I want something that I can take with me that doesn't have any unnecessary bulk to it like the other packs I have…especially for running.

Double-Walled Tent – Similar to a SMD Haven

Bike Panniers – Have some already but want an ultra-light set for a multi-week ride that will take me from the Eastern edge of Nebraska through the Rocky Mountains next summer…at that point any oz saved will be appreciated.

Bike Cover/Tarp – My current one is a bulky 4lbs…replacement should be under 8oz

35L pack – UL pack for me
    50L framed pack – for each of my dad and brother's birthdays.
    70L framed pack – just because I can

…it's going to be a busy winter…

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I am working on a new 40 liter pack. And solving hardware issues.
    Terry

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

I like this one, good spot to get the mind thinking.

Right now I am working on a new quilt, I finished one up at the beginning of the summer and found all the issues with it so hopefully this weekend I will finish sewing the new one with tons of corrections and then harvest the down from the old one and have a decent second attempt.

After that project I am going to make a winter inner for my SL2 that will be 1.1 sil for the floor and M50 for the walls and door. No mesh, this is strictly a deep winter inner tent.

I owe my dog a new jacket. I am still trying to finish a pair of shell gloves (I see why they chage $100 for a good pair)

In the distant que is a xpac ski pulk duffel bag.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I'm making the Kinsman pullover from thru-hiker. Thinking about adding hand warmer pockets to it and maybe a small inside pocket.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Bug net. The bathtub is done. I a pinning the zipper to the triangle end.
    Just too nice outside to be inside sewing.

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Well I'm almost finished modifying my SD Clip Flashlight 2 to be able to use in fast-fly mode with just the fly and groundsheet.

Next, I have some cuben ordered and plan to make a new food sack, and a few other stuff sacks for my cook kits. Depending on how much is left I may make a pack cover with the cuben.

Lastly, I want to make another quilt good down to about 30 degrees.

I like this thread. It's a good way to keep up with everyone else's projects, as well as brainstorm for my own.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Somewhat discouraging to remind myself, but here goes:

– "Bat Wing" for my 2-p RayWay tarp (this closes off one end in case of unexpected rain/wind shifts at night coupled with being too lazy to get up and reposition the tarp)

– "Bat Wing" for my 3-p RayWay tarp

– installing zippers in both of my net tents (these hang under my tarps)

– vestibule for 11' x 11' pyramid tent

– a few pairs of UL gaiters

– a few pairs of Gore-Tex x-c gaiters

– tough taslan shell jacket (somehow the old one shrunk on me, particularly around the waist!)

– three-season 1-p quilt to complement my summer-weight 1-p quilt

– two lightweight synthetic jackets to replace our fleece jackets

– lightweight puffy "bomber hats" especially for use with quilts in cold weather

– neoprene bike overshoes for winter riding for my son

– seam sealing all my tarps, ground sheets and tents (there's a lot of them!)

– painting friction stripes on all my slippery silnylon tarp and pyramid ground cloths, may try same on polycryo

– re-waterproofing flies and floors of my big car-camping tent and my smaller winter dome tent

– two more mesh deck bags for my kayaks

– three or four kayaking "Guide vests" (these fabric/mesh vests go over your PFD and have lots of big pockets)

– another (smaller) kayak throw-bag

– foam flotation cover bags for my sailboat

Alas, I'm sure there's more…I'm at work and don't have my list. Some of the items above have been on the list for years…

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

It is exciting to see others have just as many projects as me going on.

My active project:

A wool hoody similar to the BPL Beartooth. This is from scratch and has been a long process and still has a lot of kinks to work out.

My projects that are currently just materials being shipped or materials sitting around and will start very soon:

A Kinsman jacket with a hood modded onto it.

A 7×9 silnylon flat tarp

A 7×9 cuben flat tarp

A 5oz Apex quilt with a fixed footbox

A down jacket or vest modded from the kinsman

Rain mitts

Most of this is actually sewing I hope to finish now so that I can use it during the winter, rather than sew it all during the winter.

ROB WHELAN

@threepoint

First MYOG jobs for me (I'm excluding a couple of sil stuff sacks and a terrible pair of Fleece pants)

Minima Vest from Thru-Hiker – the kit has arrived, just need to get my lazy backside into gear as I want it for Spring/Summer insulation.

A Bivy, again for Spring/Summer use over here when the GF stays at home.

Tyler Johnson
    BPL Member

@riemannia

Locale: Northeast Georgia

Glad to see lots of others have long to-sew lists :)

– Thru-hiker Liberty Ridge Shell & Pants
    – Thru-hiker Minima Vest
    – Wearable 20 deg down quilt
    – Hammock (first foray into hanging, if I like it I'll probably also throw in a little asym tarp and bugnet)

& further down the road… (i.e., in planning, no materials yet)
    – Wearable 40 deg down quilt (assuming the 20 deg goes well)
    – a pack that hopefully I'll finally be satisfied with (will be MYOG pack #5)

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

> One+ lb. self-supporting camp chair, made of ski poles and fittings from a baby carrier. Leno-loc mesh seat and back.

> Two lb. 3000 ci waterproof pack with jackpack (sidearms) suspension, suspended mesh backpanel, frame of pultruded carbon rods fitted tightly in wrapped fiberglass tubes, and top shelf with zip open drop panel front. No external pockets – a zip at the rear of the shelf opens to a bottle pocket right behind your head, and there is a removable small item pocket right in front of that accessed by the drop panel.

> Completed 2 lb. version of XX tent, previously posted on this forum, with Epic Malibu main canopy and Cuben floor and covers front and back. Front cover will be supported at apex with mostly closed trekking pole.

> One+ lb, .67 oz nylon mummy sleeping bag with .5 oz panty hose baffles and Thinsulate Liteloft insulation moving freely in the compartments (not sewn in).

> Maybe some very sturdy eVent gaiters designed to zip snugly over trail shoes.

> Cap retainers for one liter Planter's narrow waisted bottles.

If we get even a quarter of all the above stuff done this winter, it should make for some very interesting reading on this forum.

P.S. Forgot! Roll-up sleeping pads for the Shelties

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I really like this thread too. MYOG is the best part of BPL. I have a couple of packs planned:

(1) A smaller sized for me (MLD Burn size, but very different in execution) when I take short summer trips (ideally 3-4 days or less).

(2) A pack for my wife, which has yet to be really designed as I need to understand more what she wants.

I am thinking about doing them from some Dimension Polyant fabrics–hopefully, VX-21 mostly, but I am considering TX-07. I need to get some fabric samples before I make any firm decisions.

If I get those done in time, I would like to put together an APEX summer quilt and possible a vest. We'll have to see how much time I actually have.

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Here are two JetBoil mods that I have been working on for a while.

The first is a remote canister conversion for a JB Sol AL, I call it the Cold Sol, it still needs some development but is looking promising.

Cold Sol

Another project is a hanging stove remote canister mod to my old JetBoil PCS, this one works works very nice and all fits into the PCS pot, I made the hanging kit, the canister is held on with a machined bracket attached to the base of the burner, it can also be just used as a non hanging remote canister stove.

Remote Hanging JB

Hanging JB

Tony

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Once Winter hits I plan to get back to the machine and complete some projects in time for our 2013 AT through hike.

Supplex pants
    Men's shorts (materials to be determined)
    Womens shorts
    2.5 Apex quilt
    Cuben rain skirt/kilt
    Fleece hat

Nice post!

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

just finished a couple of down quilts, a wind shirt and a pyramid tent.
    Near future:
    silnylon poncho/tarp (mostly poncho)
    fillet brazed steel bicycle frame (this will take p most of my project time this fall and winter)
    x pac winter pack

far future
    x pac bicycle panniers, saddle bag, front rack-top bag
    gaiters
    eVent rain smock and rain pants
    synthetic insulation hat, balaclava, mittens
    leg and arm warmers

that should last me a couple of years!

it would be nice if we could make this thread sticky, so that over the coming months (years), people can update their lits with the projects they have since completed. or we could just keep coming back to it!

Adie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools