Topic

Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarproof and silnylon?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarproof and silnylon?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jim Nordby
    BPL Member

@jimbob

Locale: Minnesota

This is supposed to help make fabrics more water repellent and reduce UV damage.
    I've sent a request to Nikwax asking if this stuff works for silnylon (not just
    PU-coated nylon), but wanted to hear if anyone else has used this (successfully)
    on silnylon? The bottle mentioned using 10oz of the stuff for a 2-man tent,
    but it I used much less than that on 2 2-man tents (double rainbow and
    lunar duo).

Jim Nordby
    BPL Member

@jimbob

I also wanted to mention this and ask if others have successfully used
    this on silnylon…

Stephen Everson
    BPL Member

@mrevets

I used this product on the surplus philmont tents I purchased this year.

http://www.philmontscoutranch.org/Resources/PhilmontSurplus/SurplusGear.aspx

They are not sil-nylon so I can't answer that question for you. But with regards to how much product will go, it took a whole bottle to cover the blue tent in the photo if you click on the photo link.

The product feels like a type of car wax you spray. When you want to do a touch up of your highly polished car, not the wax you put on as a base wax coat.

Probably is the exact same thing from Turtle Wax, just repackaged and sold at a higher price than what you can get at your auto parts store.

Just my humble opinion of the product. Have not had a chance to see how well it "re-proofed" the rain fly but it was easy to apply to the tent.

Just giving you my experience with the product.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I just used the solar proof on two Copper Spur UL's before our Sierra trek this year, mostly to protect the $$ flys from sun. It went on thin and I was able to fully cover and coat a UL2 and a UL4 with one spray bottle (dead empty at conclusion). I thought that the "extra" effect with surface beading would be great, too.

In 14 hours of rain, both flys wetted through by morning, and the UL2 wetted through in a 7 hour stretch the next day (dry start) but neither spontaneously combusted from UV rays. Ho ho. My conclusion is…inconclusive.

I will be talking with the BA folks about what I can do to harden the flys for that kind of rain, however.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Silicone is UV resistant.
    Use the Atsko stuff, either the spray or the liquid version.

http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/silicone-water-guard.html
    Franco

Jim Nordby
    BPL Member

@jimbob

I had sent an e-mail to Nikwax asking them about their product and silnylon;
    here's the reply FYI:

Tent & Gear Solarproof is designed to be used on all tent fabrics, as well as a very large number of other fabrics.

I would recommend washing the tent in Tech Wash first though. Just dilute it 2:1 in water and wash like a car while it’s set up.

This will remove any residues or dirt that is in the fibers, and leave you with a primed surface to waterproof.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools