Topic

Cuben – How is it breathable??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cuben – How is it breathable??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I've seen comments about product made from Cuben material that highlights its breathability. Below is a quote from the Black Rock webpage, as an example of those claims (I've only heard good things about them, so I don't mean to be pointing fingers, just want to provide a reference). Can someone explain to me how that is possible since it is essentially high strenght fibers sandwiched between 2 polymer films? Is the final structure in those cases micro-perforated, or something?

"Designed to layer perfectly with the Black Rock Undermitts these pair up to create the lightest seam taped down insulated zero degree mitt system at 42grams. If you simply need the lightest waterproof breathable layer in your pack these mitt's are the answer."

Thanks,
    Tom

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

check out the first item

http://www.zpacks.com/materials.shtml

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

this might help

David Ure

@familyguy

Like a garbage bag.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

John Abela's review

David Ure

@familyguy

Oh, we'll, that certainly clears it up. It is the most breathable that John has ever used.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

"Oh, we'll, that certainly clears it up. It is the most breathable that John has ever used."

lol. right..

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

So, it sounds like they replaced the polyester/Mylar films on each side with PTFE/Gortex. I would wonder about its increase in cost and decrease in durability. Any firsthand knowledge on that?
    Thanks,
    Tom

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools