Topic

Colorado Trail question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Colorado Trail question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baccary

@baccaryj

Hi all,

I am in the beginning stages of planning a Colorado Trail thru-hike in August. Has anyone hiked the CT before? Would you recommend mail drops or resupply at grocery / convenience stores along the way? I have heard that a lot of the stores near the trail are marginal at best, which makes me think the mail drop option is the better one.

If I do go with the mail drop option, I will need to plan my daily mileages more carefully than if I just wing it. What is a reasonable estimate for the CT? I am a young guy, I will be in reasonable shape and I will have spent several weeks hiking and backpacking in Montana earlier in the summer. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Justin

jonathan hauptman

@6hauptman6

Locale: A white padded room in crazy town.

why not check out skurka's website. he has done multiple colorado trail thru-hikes. lots of info.

Benjamin Tomsky

@btomsky

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have looked over Skurka's CT site a few times, as I too am planning a CT hike in 07, but there really isn't any information on resupply options.

So, it would be great if those who have hiked the CT could share their experiences…

Allen Wilson

@blackadder

Locale: Rockies

I am hiking the Ct this summer. Starting June 10 I will hike to Copper, where I have a week long conference, and then hit the trail again. I plan to bag all the 14er's on route, even spending a week or ten days in the Colligiate's, so I am not going as lite as I have on hikes like the JMT or Grand Canyon.I just picked up an REI Half Dome 2HC top use instead of my trusty old GoLite Hex. I figure I since I will be out almost 70 nights, the weight is worth it. I'm also wearing my heavy boots.

I am using PO drops at Twin Lakes, Buena Vista, Salida, Creede and Silverton.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools