Topic

Zpacks Multi-Pack Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Zpacks Multi-Pack Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Zpacks Multi-Pack Review

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

I have been using one for a while now, and i am very satisfied with it.
    Since i only used it as a frontpack while hiking and as a shoulder bag when taking my plane or going to the pub i cut all the attachments but the 2 on top.

At first i thought it was a little bigger than i needed, but when i started using it with my photo gear : EP2 + EVF +12mm+20mm+45mm it was a perfect fit.

It stayed completely dry even with 10 days of almost continuous rain/sleet/snow on the TGO 2013 in Scotland.

Cairngorms

But for added waterproofness i used a plastic bag, i cut 2 slits into it to get the straps through and i ductaped the 2 slits against the straps.
    When its raining i just pull down the plastic bag over the zpacks.
    It may seems overkill,but ill do it again next time i hike in Scotland :p

zpack

The green on the photo is a foam insert weighting less than an ounce , giving some rigidity and separating one side for the 12mm and 45mm and one for the EP2 +20 mm ( that i used on most photos ).

Before this pack i was using the OMM trio map pouch wich had a lot of features i didnt need ( and that i removed ) but i prefer the Zpacks, one of the advantage being the way you fix it to your backpack, it is way easier to switch between packs, the other being the shape that fits better my photo gear.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

What are the basic dimensions?

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Yes I know I can look it up for myself. Basic information like that should be included in the review. Just saying.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Basic information like that should be included in the review. Just saying."

Indeed. In fact, it should be the first thing presented, along with weight. http://www.backpackgeartest.org does it well.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Lots of inexperienced writers check and double-check to make sure that the facts in the writing are accurate. What they completely miss out on tends to be around the facts that are not there at all.

That's why the writer must get a proofreader for everything. The proofreader has to be just sufficiently familiar with the subject matter that the terminology is understandable, yet not so familiar that the missing fact problem is overlooked.

–B.G.–

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Says a lot: "Manufacturer Specified: 2.8 oz (80 g) BPL Measured: 2.8 oz (80 g)"

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I bought one of these for my grandson to use for his backcountry fishing tackle. It is perfect for that! My fishing gear is Tenkara, so I don't need that big a container (no reel!); I bought one of Joe's hip belt pockets (same fabric) for me and added a strap to put around my waist (since I fish only in the evenings when camped). Actually, I stole the strap from my grandson's Multi-Pack.

I do agree that all the specs should be included in the review, comparing the manufacturer's specs with actual measurements by the reviewer. However, I've found all Joe's specs to be extremely accurate! So is his customer service!

Just curious, Frederic, as to the amount of postage required to ship this item to la belle Vallee de la Loire!

Warren
    BPL Member

@icensnow

Locale: New England, USA

Thanks for the review Chris. I wasn't aware of this pack, and it looks like what I've been searching for.

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

I have a Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 pack which doesn't have waist belt pockets which is OK with me because I don't like waist belt pockets. However, I've been searching for a way to carry my camera, binoculars, maps, snacks, etc. and still have easy accessibility. This chest pocket might do the trick.

I emailed Joe at zpacks asking him how this pocket would fit on my pack. A day later he emailed me back with a photo of my pack with the attachment points circled and advice on how to attach it. Now that's service, and Joe if you read this, thanks for the feedback.

I believe I will order one of these.

Laurie Gibson
    BPL Member

@lagibson

Locale: Northeast

Wore this recently on a 7 night trip as a front pack attached at two upper and two lower points. It felt very secure–no flopping away from the body. (Yep, need to trim that sternum strap.)

Next time I will try it with the waist belt, not attached to the pack.

zpacks multi-pack

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Interesting enough that I just ordered one. We'll see how it goes.

Robert H

@roberth

Yeah I saw this ages ago and originally disregarded it but now I can see some benefits.
    Does anyone have any photos of this in black?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

"Yes I know I can look it up for myself. Basic information like that should be included in the review. Just saying."

I don't really see a point in providing dimensions (I did provide volume) with non-rigid items. It could be 3"x8"x9" (which even Joe says is a rough number) or 2"x8"x10" or 1"x9"x10", etc. depending on what you put in it.

I apologize for the delayed response. I was on my honeymoon (a year plus late) when this was published last week.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Used this pack attached to my HMG Porter for 11 days in Lapland. In it was my EP2 and lenses as well as a GPS and some snacks. It was ideally suited to the task. I expect I will use it as my camera pouch for a long time to come.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Ordered it Tuesday morning. Got it this afternoon. Florida to NW Montana in three days is some prompt service.

Sewing and design all look very good. I like it in black.

Robert H

@roberth

>I like it in black.

Photo please! :)

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I think this is just what im looking for, my new pack is going to be teeny for SUL fast trips. But when im out for more than 1-2 days this would be nice to strap onto the outside of my back. Looks like there lots of arrangments.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

A belated followup:

The Multipack is a good design. I only used it as a front pack for a larger pack, and it worked well. The supplied straps and cordlocks are a pretty flexible system, though if your shoulder straps are totally bereft of daisy chains or the like you might need to do some sewing. Tension can be adjusted easily via the side straps: tight for a more secure fit, loose for better air circulation. If anything, I found the size a bit much. My ideal load flopped around a bit, and the pack is big enough that it got in the way during more technical scrambling. Not a big deal, and it is big enough to hold a larger camera kit. The zipper requires two hands or quite a bit of fiddling to open and shut, which I found off putting.

A hole did appear near one of the upper corners after a month of use. The seam allowance was a bit small and eventually the threads pulled out. This was quickly and cheerfully replaced by Zpacks. I sold the replacement as I decided it didn't fit my needs.

I've been using a wearable (and much heavier, the HPG Runner's Kit bag) chest pack this winter, which has a wrap around zipper and several pockets. I like the organization, though making the Multipack like this would add weight and expense. I do think a different zipper orientation would make the Multipack easier to open and provide more flexibility for accessing contents from either the top or side. I'd also like to see Zpacks offer a wearable harness as an option, though it is pretty easy to make one yourself.

Overall, the Multipack is a solid iteration of a very good concept.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools