Topic

Hand washing -40°F bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Hand washing -40°F bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I'm now on my 4th soap cycle. The water keeps looking filthy. That means it should be washed more right? Washing a 20°F quilt was tough enough. All the extra insulation in this sleeping bag is making for a much more tiring job.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

What kind of insulation is it?

If it is goose down, then extra soap may not be necessary, but extra rinsing is.

I used to wash once and rinse four times, but that was on a -20 F down bag.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

How many rinse cycles do you have in store for yourself? No need to go to the gym when you are done. It'll be so nice once it is done. Now you see the allure of professional cleaning. I always do mine myself as well so I know what you are going through.
    You are just having good clean fun.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

It is goose down.

I'll probably do the same number of rinse cycles.

Definitely no need for the gym today. I'm already soaked in sweat.

Professional cleaning is a lot easier, but I like knowing how clean my bag really is.

It sounds like I'm doing okay so far. I was worried that I might be over washing this bag. I've read plenty of guides on washing down bags, but they're usually for 20°F bags.

As far as clean fun goes, I don't think I've ever been so clean from the calves down.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools