Topic

Hammock rainfly options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Hammock rainfly options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Hey guys,

Wondering what the different options are out there for a lightweight rainfly or tarp would be for sleeping in my hammock…have a Warbonnet double 1.1

Thanks!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have a custom hex-shaped tarp made by Lawson Equipment in Cuben. I don't think he's making tarps anymore, but it's really awesome.

Look at ZPacks or Mountain Laurel Designs – they both have tarps specifically designed for hammocks.

One other thought if you're really looking to cut down on your overall weight…See if Ron at MLD will modify his Hex Hammock Tarp to include a poncho-style opening. With a few well-places snaps to shorten it to poncho length you could have a hammock-specific poncho tarp that, if made in Cuben, would weigh around 8 ounces. I live in PA and am only able to weekend trips, but this would allow me to leave my other raingear at home most of the time.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Thanks, those look awesome but don't have that kind of money budgeted right now.

Anyone have any experience with the GoLite poncho tarp? Think it would work as a cover for a hammock if so?

Thanks!

mark wuethrich

@mwuethri

It will work but just barely. A friend of mine uses one and its a little too close for comfort in a downpour. Check out the tarps at warbonnet outdoors, right now they are on sale and the big mamba jamba is the best value for weight / coverage / cost in my opinion. I also have a slightly used Mac Cat standard that I'm not using and would be willing to part with for $85 if you're interested, just shoot me a PM.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Zpacks Cuben hammock tarp is big on my list. The one with doors is 8.5oz, but costs $315. I may have to stand out on a freeway ramp with a sign that says, "need funds for Cuben." Even the "standard" tarp brings on fits of Cuben envy at a mere 6.5oz.

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hammock_tarps.shtml

For better weather, I have a Hennessy Cat Cape Poncho Rainfly that is larger than the stock Expedition tarp and can double as rain gear. 11.8oz.

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/products/cat_cape_poncho_rainfly_xl/

It takes some reset on what we are used to seeing for weights on UL tarps when looking at hammock tarps. A 12"x 10" tarp is a LOT more surface area and strings than a poncho shelter. These big tarps and hammock underquilts are the weight penalty for a comfortable shelter. Big PU tarps of 22oz and more are fairly common.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I would go for the above offer. I own both the BMJ and the Maccat Standard. The latter is smaller but fine in rain that isn't too heavy or accompanied by wind. The Maccat is my main tarp unless I know I am heading into serious weather. The quality if OES is superior in my opinion.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

I've used my golite poncho tarp and it's definitely a bit dicey in bad weather. Works best with short hammocks or when you aren't really expecting rain but want something along just in case. A tarp is a pretty simple and cheap myog project if you're so inclined, the one I made is what I use most of the time now.

-David

Tom Deal

@tomsbackwoods

Locale: Northern Idaho

I use the Tad Pole from Wilderness Logics.com Its small in size but if you add extra tabs you can fashion doors. It has a Total pack weight of 11.5 oz

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I use an 8×10 rectangular flat tarp, 12 oz. I think the hex tarps weigh too much for being a single-purpose item. I looked at poncho tarps recently but decided they were not enough for four season use. I still have an asym that I plan to take on summer trips. It depends what use(s) you want for your tarps and how, where, and when you like to camp.

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

To echo Kat's suggestion. I've got 2 OES MacCat Tarps(standard spinn, deluxe silnylon)

I think they are both great and I have the KnotBone 2 line suspension kit for both by WhoopieSlings. I use their prusik tie outs as well. Nice and easy and your sitting in your hammock before you know it.

I have a WBBB as well and I wouldn't go any shorter than the Standard's length(125").

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

I have used the Golite poncho tarp several times and it works just fine if you pitch it really close and the rain is not to heavy. I agree with others about a larger tarp for worse weather. When you have the money, hammockgear.com has a 4 season cuben tarp that is IMHO the best on the market and is well spoken of over at hammockforums.
    Ever consider DIYing a larger tarp? Sil is weird to sew but certainly doable.

Guy Laden
    BPL Member

@gl

Ryan Spurlock
    BPL Member

@ryans

i use the eno in my opinion its a good budget entry tarp

http://www.rei.com/product/814104/eno-profly-rain-tarp-for-hammock

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools