Topic

pre-cooking tortillas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition pre-cooking tortillas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I'm considering packing in tortillas so I can make trout tacos.

The only problem is that if you don't' cook tortillas they kind of taste like raw dough.

1. can you get fully cooked tortillas?

2. if I cook them at home will they still be malleable when in the wild?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Try the blended corn and flour ones. Best of both worlds for packing. Not too crumbly like 100% corn and has flavor unlike the flour only.

But yes you can buy flour tortillas both cooked and uncooked.

Corn ones are cooked or else it would just be a pile of masa and water

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

If you cook the tortillas at home, they will harden. I recommend getting a small aluminum comal. A comal is a smooth, flat griddle typically used in Mexico to cook tortillas. All it really amounts to is a flat aluminum disc that you can set over a fire, nothing fancy. It shouldn't weigh much at all.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

You didn't mention what cooking method you are using but I've made tacos/burritos while camping and I just heat/toast the tortillas directly over the flame of a canister stove on low heat making sure to keep it moving.

I do the same thing at home all the time toasting tortillas directly over the gas flame of my stove.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I use a wood shove.

I think I could do this especially if I use two tent stakes to prevent the tortillas from falling in …

I wish I had a back yard to play with cooking on my wood stove but I live in the city.

Tyson Marshall
    BPL Member

@sheepngeese

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools