Topic

World’s Lightest Tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) World’s Lightest Tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tim Evans
    BPL Member

@timothye

This Spring I set myself the challenge of designing the lightest possible fully enclosed tent, given what I consider reasonable criteria of space and practicality. I set a target of a trail weight under 300 grams (10.6 ounces). I came up with a design I call the Tetrapod, which keeps the weight to a minimum by being as simple as possible, by using the lightest available materials, and by eliminating metal and plastic fittings. I designed a Velcro fastened baffle to replace the door zipper, a prototype of which I tested successfully in a moderate rain.

John Stultz at BearPaw Wilderness Designs build the tent for me and I recently had a chance to give it a field test. The photos show the tent on an overnight outing to Keats Island near Vancouver. It set up easily and worked really well. I haven't tested it in wind or rain at this point, but I imagine it will function as well as most other Cuben tarps and tents in these conditions. I sleep on my side and toss and turn quite a bit, and I never had a problem bumping into the pole.

The tent is constructed of 0.51 oz Cuben fiber and weighs 195 grams (6.9 oz). With four 6 gram titanium stakes and a custom .44" diameter carbon pole, the total trail weight is 290 grams (10.2 oz). There are slightly lighter tarps, but this is a fully enclosed tent that stakes to the ground, and compared to a floating tarp, provides privacy, better protection from wind and wind driven rain, and should trap heat better. There are two vents, which should reduce problems with condensation.

Perimeter netting could be added but I prefer to avoid the extra weight. In fact, with a minimum tent like this I don't even bother trying to keep bugs out. If they are bad, which I rarely encounter in the areas where I camp out, I actually tie the door open to keep them from accumulating inside. I use Deet on my face and hands and sleep with a headnet, which I would be wearing around camp anyway. I wear my ball cap under the net to keep it away from my face, and ear plugs keep the buzzing from bothering me. This system has worked well for me in the past.

The pole is angled towards the back of the tent, which provides a wide unobstructed space for sleeping. There is lots of room for gear on either side of the pole. The vents are at the rear bottom and top front to provide cross flow ventilation. The rear vent will allow rain to fall on a small area inside the tent, but it is well away from the sleeping space and easy to avoid with gear during rain. A Velcro closure flap could be added if this turns out to be a problem. Maximum headroom is a bit over 48 inches. The peak is positioned so the point of maximum headroom is over the center of the sleeping area, for ease in sitting up. The tent is very roomy and encloses about as much area as a typical two man dome tent.

Is it the world's lightest fully enclosed tent? I don't know for sure, but if it's not it's got to be pretty close. This tent completes (for now at least) my quest for the lightest, reasonably comfortable shelter and sleeping gear:

Tent: Tetrapod Cuben 290 grams
    Groundsheet: ZPacks custom Cuben poncho 70 grams
    Air mattress: Neoair XLite small 200 grams
    Sleeping bag: ZPacks custom 5 deg C 900 down 320 grams
    Pillow: Montbell inflatable 65 grams

Total: 945 grams (2.09 lbs)

Tetrapod FrontTetrapod OpenTetrapod Rear

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Hmm…I have to say that it doesn't look very breathable. If it's going to rain I would prefer a design that allows maximum venting in vertical rain and only close up the shelter fully in wind driven rain. It's really a fault of pyramid designs in general, that the sides slope outward so anytime you open one panel, any straight rain is going to come in. So something more like the MLD Cricket design where you have a large opening on one side with an overhang.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hey your text is triple posted. What's with the dark triangle on the rear of your awesomely light shelter?

What size are you?

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Sweet and simple. I think maybe moving the apex toward one end or the other could result in more headroom but really like what you've got. Is that a gear pocket showing on the rear side photo? Also, I think Zpacks fully enclosed mid shelter is about the same weight, nine-point-something ounces. But I prefer the full ground contact of your design. I have a Skyscape trekker I like a lot, and your design shares that simple diamond shape.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Hi. You repeated the text three times. Is this the Diamond Solo, or a different shelter without the second peak? I'd label it a shaped tarp and not a tent, but that is just me ; ). It looks good.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If it has a floor, then it is probably a tent. If it doesn't have a floor, then it is probably a shelter or a tarp/shelter.

–B.G.–

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

For UL tents I want my next to use my trekking poles as part of the structure to save weight.

However, 99% of my current hiking uses hammocks and my shelter is like 700g …it's a bit more weight but I have NO problem with it as I LOVE my hammock.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Nice! Reminds me of a simplified SM Wild Oasis or modified Hexamid, for which I have. With 18" of perimeter netting, zippered door, over sized sil-nylon stuff sack (also serves as my night time food bag), and 9 ti stakes, it comes in at 9.71 oz. I use a trekking pole for set-up…or my breakdown paddle when on kayak trips.

Here's a link with pics and descrip: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=62945&skip_to_post=567295#567295

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

As mentioned by a previous poster, it looks like the SMD Wild Oasis or Gatewood Cape when they're in "full lockdown" mode.

I've pitched my Gatewood Cape the whole way to the ground like your photo but prefer to elevate it anywhere from 2-6" to maximize ventilation while providing the needed protection.

If your pole can be adjusted higher you might want to consider extensions at your stake points to allow you to raise the entire tent into the air a couple of inches. It wouldn't add much weight (a couple of grams) but it would give you a lot more flexibility.

Rob Daly
    BPL Member

@rdaly-2

Locale: outdoors amap

I couldn't call that a tent. Imo, it's not fully enclosed without a floor attached to the tarp. Nice tarp though.

I hope it works great for you.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Tim,

Nice design. I like the symmetry, simplicity and, of course, the low weight.

I'm a fan of having the apex at the center instead of toward one end. It is more convenient for me and avoids the sag that comes from one end being longer. I also don't have to worry about which way to put the head of the tarp when I set it up.

I too had John make a tarp/fly. See my avatar. He used .75 cuben. I also avoided the zipper. I did so by allowing enough fabric in the vestibules so I can roll them up to about 28" high and enter.

I hope you get many fun miles from your creation.

Daryl

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools