Topic

Yosemite Mirror Lake to Snow Creek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Yosemite Mirror Lake to Snow Creek

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Locale: East Bay

I'm looking for some help/information for a 3 day trip I'm leading next week. We are leaving from Mirror Lake Trail Head and heading towards Snow Creek. On our second day we'll head West to North Dome and end up coming down the Yosemite Falls Trail.
    My Question are; the availability of water and any good/can't miss campsite.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Water is going to be a little scarce during this dry year. Yosemite Creek almost never completely dries up. Get somebody to stand in the eastern half of Yosemite Valley and look north at the rim, and count the number of streams and waterfalls they see. It won't be many.

The Snow Creek Cabin was built during the 1930's, and it was located very close to Snow Creek for a moderately reliable source of water.

–B.G.–

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Thanks, Bob. I'm going to call up the ranger station and get any trail/water reports they have.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yes, don't be surprised if they don't give you many specific answers. Either they won't know exactly, or they don't want to accept full responsibility for you getting into a jam over some bad information.

Also, what you might want to do… get yourself equipped to filter and treat some seriously nasty stagnant water. I know that's not what you want to do. However, sometimes you have to do things to survive and not get sick.

One time in late season, a buddy and I got to our water source at about 9 p.m., and it was nearly dried up. All that was left was one pool of mosquito-infested brown water. So, I filled up a plastic jug with the stuff and mixed in a strong dose of iodine. After letting that stand, we poured it through a bandana, and then we boiled it.

–B.G.–

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

Water availability will be an issue. I took this trip in mid-May and was able to get water at only a few places on the three day trip. Now three months later it is going to be very, very dry.

Here are the creeks along your route: Snowcreek (could still have water), Royal Arch Creek (only seasonal and will be dry by now), Lehamite Creek (probably dry), Indian Canyon Creek (only seasonal and will be dry by now), and Yosemite Creek right before Yosemite Falls (which is now completely dry as you can see on this webcam http://www.nps.gov/yose/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm)

So if you talk to the rangers ask them to confirm that there is water in Snowcreek. If there is none you are looking at carrying three days of water.

sean mccutcheon

@aldosean93

Kathy,
    I talked to a lady at the Half Dome/Wilderness permit office and she said Snow Creek was still running and we'd find water above Yosemite Falls. I'm going to be up there working on a service project over the weekend, so I'm hoping to ask around some more.

Katy Anderson

@katyanderson

Was there water at Snow Creek? Any points beyond that?

Once the high country closes to overnight parking on October 15th, Snow Creek becomes the obvious route and access to the higher elevations. So nice to know if there is water.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools