Topic

MYOG Light telescope.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Light telescope.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    a b

@ice-axe

James Cuppy

@kentuckian

Congratulations on finishing up the mount for your reflector! Looks like fun!

Clear skys to you.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Very cool Matt.

Nearly full Moon during the GGG. Just saying.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Matt. Beautiful. Thank you for posting.

I have a 6 inch mirror gathering dust too. Mmmm…..

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Matt,

This is very, very cool! Good on ya!

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Following the Krustyledge, can I suggest the 'KrustyScope'…?

I can see my afternoon occupied with KrustyScope thoughts…

a b

@ice-axe

!

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

See, I knew I'd spend the afternoon thinking…

I imagine that the main strength is required in the primary mirror support, and the pivot. The support structure for the secondary mirror and eyepiece can probably be a lot less sturdy, so you might drop two of the six support arms. You might even knock it down to three arms, provided you can maintain the rigidity required to keep the optical alignment. I was scribbling ideas with 45-degree Y-unions and 135-degree elbows to provide a stepped support structure for a 3 or 4 arm support…

The 45-degree Y-unions might also allow a triangulated cross-bracing. You might even used a diameter reducing union, so that the cross-bracing is a smaller diameter…

I spent ages playing with the design of the Krustyledge, modelling it in SketchUp, fiddling with different setups. But I don't do big wall climbing, so I don't need a Krustyledge.

I haven't got a 6" mirror, or secondary, or eyepiece, and I don't really do astronomy, so I don't need a KrustyScope.

I have to keep telling myself that I don't need these things, and stop trying to design them…

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

You can't touch em but you sure can get a closer look. Very nice by the way!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Very nice, but I couldn't help thinking to myself 'carbon fibre tubing and sheet'. Stiffer and lighter than PVC …
    Ignore, just me.

Cheers

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Many years ago, I thought about playing with a very lightweight mirror created using a flexible, metallised plastic (e.g. acrylic mirror 'glass'), mounted onto a vacuum ring system. You'd pump out air from behind the mirror, and the mirror would flex due to the air pressure. I think I managed to convince myself that the shape ought to be parabolic, but I'm sure I could be wrong.

Ideally, you might even be able to use metallised mylar 'space blanket', provided you could stretch it tight, drum-stylee, to remove the wrinkles.

As with most of my ideas, I never got around to experimenting, but it certainly offered the hope of a light, cheap, easy to manufacture mirror.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools