Topic

Is four ounces worth it? Losing your glasses

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Is four ounces worth it? Losing your glasses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Did you lose a pair of reading glasses?

When we go into the backcountry, we often go out of our way to find more remote and private campsites. Part of the joy of backpacking is the sense of solitude and isolation that we find. And that means that we often find ourselves camping boldy where no man has camped before.

Well, not really. But you get the idea. Show us the usual sites, and we'll often look for something a bit farther afield.

On this last trip, we were off the John Muir Trail, exploring trails and routes that didn't get so much traffic. And when we stopped for the night, we often spent 45 minutes or more finding a place to camp that would be away from the madding crowd–or at least other hikers. In one case, we considered one campsite, then decided to move on. But before we moved on M noticed a pair of glasses on a log. She actually ought they were mine, and handed them to me. But I had mine right where I wanted them—on my face.

This pair had been on the log for a while, judging from the water spots and corrosion on the frames, so we tossed them in our pack and added them to the junk we've found on the trail.

And then a few days later, we were even farther off the grid, and M wandered off in the woods to do what bears do. Of course, she likes to get far away even from our isolated campsite for that particular activity. When she returned, she was laughing, and holding up a pair of glasses. A different pair.

So we have two pairs of reading glasses right now. They are both about 1.5 magnification, and we'll donate them to a local charity shop.

But it does make you wonder how many other pairs are out there…and how many people are having trouble reading their topo maps.

Mitch Chesney
    Spectator

@mchesney

Could it have been a themed geochaching? You can get OTC reading glasses for a couple dollars, much cheaper than an Otterbox filled with goodies.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lol…I know if I lost my glasses I'd be in serious trouble. I can only imagine trying to drive home without them – it'd be scary ;-)

It is so bad I carry a spare pair no matter the weight. That bad.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If I lost my glasses, I would be soooo screwed. I could easily put myself in a survival situation if I was off trail. I am near sighted, I can actually read without my glasses if I had to, but I can't see things far off… which is much worse.
    And I would not be able to drive home, maybe very slowly to the nearest place I could call from.
    I ALWAYS carry an extra pair. Laser surgery is on my list of things to get done.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I now where glasses and on my last trip I did not bring them due to me being afraid of losing them….well I found out one tough lesson……it is hard to read maps, especially when you are heading cross country and need to read your map properly

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Somebody is going to find a penny whistle in the Winds someday, somewhere near Titcomb Lake. Key of Eb.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Contacts are lighter…

Charles Schaefer

@armchairracer

Locale: Utah

So what's the weight/dollar gain for getting lasik so you can give up your glasses?

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I ALWAYS carry an extra pair."

Anyone whose vision is impaired to the point where they would be at risk if they lost their corrective lenses, of whatever type, would be foolhardy not to carry backup. This is one of those places where redundancy is justified, and d@mn the weight penalty, IMO. It shouldn't be more than 3 or so ounces in any case.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

A monocle on a string would weigh 1/4 of what a full pair of glasses does and do a lot for you compared to going without.

For the very far-sighted, it is easy – buy extreme reading glasses at the drugstore for $10-15, saw in half, and remove the bow pieces. Viola'! Two monocles with the screwhole in the hinge to run a thread through. A little friction tape or painting the rim with the dip-your-tool-in-to-make-a-coated-handle goo and it would grip between your brow ridge and cheek better. Put a alligator/roach clip on the end of the string to clip to your lapel.

Likewise for the very near-sighted, but you have to score an old pair of prescription glasses. Maybe from the "Lions Club Eyes for Africa" donation box or whatever they call that program. Take out the closest prescription to your own and put in $20 to balance your karma. Or look on eBay. Or use an old pair of your own – we all keep them but never use them. Or get prescription swim googles on eBay for $19.95 to $24.95 – I've gotten many for me and the kids. Cut it down, one lense or two, and put a thin (shoe-lace-sized) bungie cord so you can wear it like an eye patch. It already has a cushy rim all around it. Spit on the inside or apply a tiny, teeny bit of soap and wipe it clean. That will greatly reduce the condensation while in use.

Robert Mak

@blmac

Glasses keep gnats out of my eyes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools