Topic

Gunnison National Forest- Please help :)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Gunnison National Forest- Please help :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Robert Justice
    BPL Member

@rjustice7

Locale: Central Texas Hill Country

Hey Everybody,

A couple of days ago I started a thread here about going to the Gila Wilderness and that the fires have caused the West Fork Trail to be closed down. I was looking for alternate routes in the Gila but now I'm considering Gunnison as a serious option.

We would prefer a good loop between 30 and 50 miles, plenty of water sources, and a great view! This is our first preference but we will hear other suggestions for sure, for example a straight line vs. a loop, a few miles less than what we want, a few more, etc…

I spoke to their office and to be honest, the lady I spoke to was only mildly helpful and seemed to really hope I would hurry and get off of the phone with her and stop asking all of the questions I was asking. What I squeezed out of her was that there was no snow, the temperatures were nice and cool for the most part, and that there was definitely an opportunity for a 30 – 50 miles loop because the forest is, "like huge." Her words obviously lol!

I would greatly appreciate any information anyone has, this is new territory for me!

Thank you so much,

-Rob

Robert Justice
    BPL Member

@rjustice7

Locale: Central Texas Hill Country

I should also mention that the dates are pretty soon, Aug 29th – Sep 3rd or so. If anyone knows where I can purchase the best map for this region that info too would be greatly appreciated!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools