Topic

Classic Ti-Tri vs. Ti-Tri ULC

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Classic Ti-Tri vs. Ti-Tri ULC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I've been thinking heavily about purchasing a Caldera Cone, and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go with. I've skimmed old threads, but didn't really find the info that I'm looking for. I'll be using it with an MLD 850ml Titanium Pot. I like the idea that the Ti-Tri ULC will fit inside my pot and save room in my pack, but have read that this comes with a cost. What are your experiences with either model, and if you have the Classic Ti-Tri, how do you pack it? That is if you don't use the included caddy.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Steven,

I had the guys make me a custom two piece Caldera Cone that will fit inside the pot. I think they call it the Sidewinder now, but you would need to confirm. I use mine with the MLD 850 and the Snowpeak Minisolo. Works great with both. You get the best of both worlds. The cone, stove (12-10) and small fuel bottle all fit in the pot.

Brad

Anonymous
    Inactive

So with the Sidewinder, does the brim of the MLD actually sit on the top of the cone? Or do you have to use the stakes? I don't know why, but I didn't even give the Sidewinder a proper look-over. It seems like the ideal choice though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There actually isn't an option on the Sidewinder that fits the MLD, or at least it's not an option on the Trail Designs site.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Call Rand and crew up. I got a custom two piece cone for my Evernew Pasta Pot. It's basically an ULC with a short cone that sits under it. Allows the pot to sit way down in the cone. Gets full size cone efficiency and still fits in the pot. Will be offered as a standard choice from them sometime in the future.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That sounds great. I just sent them an email about it, thanks!

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Both the 850 and SP minisolo fully fit inside the cone. The cone is just two pieces that fits together easily. I emailed with the guys and they made what I wanted. BTW they have outstanding customer service. Great company and very easy to work with.

Brad

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

If you want the double cone that fits together to support the rim of the pot it's called the Fissure, not the Sidewinder.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"If you want the double cone that fits together to support the rim of the pot it's called the Fissure, not the Sidewinder."

…but then there is this
    cone

2cone
    my special ULC with "booster cone". Not a Fissure nor a Sidewinder.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

I just ordered up a Sidewinder cone for my Evernew Titanium Non-Stick 900ml Pot Set (ECA417). Very much looking forward to it… I have note been able to find any other lighter way to have a windscreen and pot stand for this wide pot I went with.

I plan on using it with esbit so if anybody out there has any tips, I would love to hear them!

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I just finished reviewing my Sidewinder system that I got just for wood use, but have reviewed all the other styles as well, including the Fissure (my favorite).

Sidewinder: http://tinyurl.com/8hh2py3

Classic: http://tinyurl.com/3txkt7j

ULC: http://tinyurl.com/7akbc8a

Fissure: http://tinyurl.com/7mfaqsw

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

My Evernew 900ml wide pot and Sidewinder Inferno set-up arrives last Friday.
    I've been bruning stuff all weekend playing with the various fuels.

In wood mode it's awesome. Before this set-up I was a dedicated Bushbuddy guy but after this weekend I'm converted to the Sidewinder Inferno.
    I just lover how you can load the wood in and let it go, there is heaps more wood capacity in the Sidewinder. No need to keep filling the fuel box like the bush buddy. Love it !! and the wind protection is a huge bonus and works great. (The windproofness of this system was the main benifit in my eyes as it's all intergrated together)

John A – I cannot give any huge Esbit tips but I will say I now think it's my fuel of choice if woods not an option. This weekend was my first experience with Esbit. It's just such a light and effiencent fuel and who doesn't love a 3g stove…….
    I found with the Sidewinder cone and Evernew 900ml pot that it easily boils 600ml of cold water on one cube with a little fuel to spare. I also had a play boiling 300ml lots of water (Simulated morning coffee when I don't feel like stoking the wood fire)
    One 14g Esbit tab got me 2x300ml lots boiling and all but a 3rd lot, Nearly got to rolling boil but just not quite. Plenty of bubble rising and it would have been enough for quite a hot drink. Between each 300ml lot I would blow out the Esbit and let the whole system cool down, get new cold water etc.

In alcohol mode it's as effiecient as my Fosters pot Caldera Cone and the EV900ml system is lighter that the Fosters, Alcohol & Caddy set (If you take the caddy).

What did suprise me was the size. I mean it's just hard to imagine/simulate the pot size without having your hands on one and honestly I thought it would be larger. Don't take me wrong, I think that's a great thing and the set is a lot more compact than I thought. I'd imagine even the Evernew 1300ml set is quite small too now looking at the tiny size of the 900ml. Man the 600ml would be so little !!

Weights for the Evernew pot & full sidewinder below for anyone interested.

Evernew 900ml Pot = 109g (with lid)
    Ti-Tri Caldera Cone = 37g (In 3g Tyvek storage cone sleeve)
    Inferno Insert, Mesh floor and floor spacer = 37g (Including 2g mesh floor Tyvek sleeve)
    Single Piece Floor = 14g
    Ti Pegs = 6g Each (Double duty though so I can sorta discount the weight in what I already take)

Anyway, I cannot recommend this system enough and I really think it will trump all my other stove sets now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools