Topic

Carrying a compact interchangeable camera

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Carrying a compact interchangeable camera

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Blough

@thegreatjesse

Anybody using one of these? How are you lugging it around?

I'd like quick access, but some padding would be great. The Lowepro camera cases are freakin' heavy, but look robust. They might also be a bit larger than I need – I really only need to carry the camera (Samsung nx100) and an attached lens on the outside of my pack. Spare battery and extra lenses can go inside my pack.

I was thinking of DIYing a cuben roll-top pouch with evazote for padding, but a ready-made solution would be excellent.

Extra points for easy attachment to my Kumo

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

how about zpacks multipack with a few pieces of ccf foam or even some air blister packs used in shipping?

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

I have the capture system. Also a small case I can use biners to connect to chest rings.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

I use a Photoflex Galen Rowell Chest Pouch, but unfortunately they've been discontinued for years. The camera strap goes around your neck with the camera in the case, and the case has a strap that goes around your back. Great setup, and perfect for a Micro Four Thirds camera.

Perhaps you could rig up a small camera case – put the shoulder strap around your neck, and jury rig some kind of strap to secure it to your body.

Another possibility is to use a small camera waistpack, but mounted backwards.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Use your smartphone, multipurpose.

Jesse Blough

@thegreatjesse

I think this is the route I'll go. I should be able to fit a water bottle and a few other quick-access items in addition to the camera, so it will potentially replace my shoulder ditty bag and water bottle holster. Thanks for the heads-up on this – I didn't even know Zpacks made this thing!

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I've been using an Osprey Grab bag to carry my Sony NEX and an extra lens. I like the way it sits a little off to the side of my chest, just under the ribs on my side as opposed to something like the Z-Packs pouch or a normal padded camera case which sits right in front, dead center and partially blocks your ability to see your own feet.

The grab bag stays in place nicely and doesn't bounce around. Great piece of kit for $25.

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

Because there weren't any camera bags that I liked for my Sony Nex, I made one myself. Here's how I made it: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=57405. In that thread there are also several recommendations for commercially available bags.
    Chris Muthig also made a very nice camera bag for himself: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=61138&skip_to_post=524066#524066

I must say that I haven't actually used my camera bag while hiking. After I finished the bag I've only done a few short hikes in very good weather where I simply hung the camera from my neck. I've found that, at least as long as the weather remains good, this may be the best way of carrying a camera.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

For the last probably 10 trips, Ive just carried my small dslr or u4/3 around my neck. With 1-2 extra lenses in hipbelt pockets (in sandwich type ziplock bags).

If it starts to drizzle I usually just try to shield the cam with whatever I have (lately a shower cap and rubber band). For short periods I might sneak it in my jacket (this means risking steaming up the lense).

If it rains for too long or hard I just stuff in it my backpack.

I have thought of making a little camera rain jacket that could be donned over the camera in this configuration.

I also keep silica gel handy. If I am worried about moisure build-up I would thow the camera in a drybag with the packets.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

I'll also throw in as a suggestion the Wet Rib from Mystery Ranch, the latest incarnation of the old Dana Designs version. It has space for a small water bottle, and a medium sized pouch for your gear.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have used the Zing neoprene wrap style camera case for an SLR. The one I have that fits the smaller 35mm and DSLR's with a short zoom weighs about 4 ounces and will handle sprinkles, bumps and stuff like branches while under way. They make some large pouches that would probably work the the 20mm lens, but I don't know about the long zoom. I would try to find a local dealer to see how one would work with the Samsung. They have universal wraps that would work. The SLR case has a tether so you can just let it dangle for a quick shot. You could add that to the wrap style easily enough.
    http://tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=zing

I use a Lock & Lock plastic tupperware style box when I really want to protect my photo gear from bumps, rain and dust. I wouldn't trust it for expensive gear and guaranteed all-out submersion, but they work great for general hiking and travel. It is a prefect match with the camera wrapped in the Zing case. Just good ol' bubble wrap would do the trick too.

Jim L
    BPL Member

@bmafg

+1 on the zPacks Multipack

Also note that zPacks will modify any of the designs to meet your specific requirement. Joe's done a couple of small things for me – always fast, friendly, reasonably priced and high quality work.

As soon as the boss approves my new camera purchase, I expect to have zPacks do a custom sized multipack to just fit the camera with a CCF cradle.

Jim

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Click Elite Access–which can be used as a standalone chest pack, shoulder bag or attach to a backpack as a chest pack–holds an E-M5 plus two additional small lenses.

Cheers,

Rick

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Recently I have been combining an old Sundog padded hip belt pocket (about 3-4 oz I think) I had with the strap from a Black Rapid Snap 35R bag. When not in used the weight of the camera (X100)is carried on the hip belt, as opposed to round my neck. The Black Rapid Strap makes using the camera on the go really easy. When I stop and remove my pack I can either keep the camera round my neck or place it in the hip belt pouch.

I have a cuben dry sack inside the waist belt in case of rain. Long term I will probably make a lighter hip belt pouch by combing some foam with a Zpacks cuben pouch. Overall the system I work very well.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

When backpacking my camera lives a bag which has been attached to my shoulder strap. Most recently, it is a lowepro lens case which is a perfect size for an Oympus OM-D + pancake lens. Over the years it's been a variety of things include an Eagle Creek utility pouch and just a light ripstop bag without any padding – how often do you need protection at a mid-chest height. Extra lens are normally in a side pocket in a domke wrap for padding which goes inside in dry bag when it's wet.

When not backpacking I use a domke f-5xb which has room for body with a lens attached (except for longer zoom), several lens, filters, extra battery, extra memory card. Depending on what I am doing this is attaches my a waist strap, used with it's over the shoulder strap, or put in the lower section of a divided daypack with the top flap open so I just unzip the daypack and call immediate take out or put in equipment (basically use it as a protective pad).

–Mark

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools