Topic

ergo or straight handled trekking poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ergo or straight handled trekking poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Is one better than the other for pitching shelters? I can envision the ergo handles fatigue fracturing at the bend or tending to slip on the ground or is this all just hypothetical?

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

I'm not sure what you mean by ergo handles (something like the pacerpoles perhaps?), but if it's strong enough to support a persons weight it shouldn't have too much trouble with a tent.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Most people seem to do fine with using Pacer poles as shelter supports. In fact they are stronger then the light weight CF poles many UL's use and so are less likely to flex in high winds.

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

Dennis, go to a store that carries these and hold say, a Black Diamond trail ergo cork in your hands.

Your question will instantly vanish, the ergo part of the pole is the thickest tube part, the weakest part of these will always be the bottom, assuming it's a collapsible pole, sections that is.

Ergo handles means the shaft and handle are bent a bit to fit the straight wrist position of your grip, which forms a line slanting slightly in towards your body.

The ergos are really nice, excellent comfort, I just did my first real 8,9 hour a day backpacking trip with mine and was surprised to find that I experience exactly no moments of discomfort using them, and I think the ergo bends help that, since it's such a natural position for your wrists. I kept expecting to get tired or feel the 'weight', but it didn't happen, mostly because there is no weight through most of the stride (actually it's negative as far as I can tell, when you use them right, but that's for another thread).

Once you trip and catch yourself on a good set of trekking poles, solid construction, these kinds of worries are something you will simply not have. I don't know the exact weight physics, but if it catches a significant percentage of your weight, and if your weight is accelerating, that's hundreds of pounds of force on the pole. Compared to a tent, with what, 10, 20 pounds? And in wind, a bit more? Guessing on the tent, but it's not much.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

no worries. the Ergo Grip Pacer Pole grip is not going to structurally fail. they are extremely tough.
    the upper shaft is not bent, it extends straight into the grip for a considerable engagement depth.
    you can hang as much as 45#'s (food) off of a bipod made of 2 pacer poles with bit of aluminium connecting the holes in the upper handles, and pulling against a length of twine extending into the distance.
    one might check out Aarn's backpacks in NZ, he links to a site showing tents specifically designed to use PP's as supports.
    Alain and Heather of PP will gladly supply you with the desired bit of alloy to rig the poles together.pacer pole BiPod

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Dennis, I have a Solomid and was considering the PP, but wasn't sure about using them with the Mid, I did a lot of research (with the help of folks here) and the PP's are my pole of choice for hiking and they work great with the Mid. They aren't UL, but then I consider them a tool that enables me to hike longer….you may be young and not concerned about that; I'm not old, "just no longer young" :)

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

For what it's worth, Dennis, I've been using Pacerpoles for years to pitch my shelters without any problem. They are pretty tough. I pitch with handles down and haven't had any issues with slipping.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Hi Dennis, you will see a brief summary of my use of Pacer Poles as shelter supports for my TT Notch on my blog (address in my profile). I have also used them with the SL3, 2 and 1, and BD Mids. In summary no problems and in some instances I have used the poles handle up, their shape is not ideal but it will work and once set there will be no slippage.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools