Topic

Leg Cramps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Mary: you've probably heard this, but I thought that I might mention a really easy stretch that I do for my mild–now virtually non-existent–plantar fasciatis. Someone gave me a shaped wooden dowel that was designed to roll your spine through. So picture
    a dowel with two "bumps" in the center that contain your spine. Actually the bumps are pretty thin and have an edge. When sitting in a chair–say, watching tv– I can roll this apparatus underfoot and stretch out the entire bottom of my feet at a wide variety of angles. It feels really good. This is the same principle as using a ball or a frozen can of orange juice but I like the variety of stretches this thingamabob gives me. I also do other stretches as well. since I also will be doing this for years to come, it's nice to be able to do it sitting down; and I'm more likely to do the stretches too!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I make my own electrolyte mix out from 41g of Morton Salt Balance (lite salt) and 108g of Calcium/Magnesium Complex."

+1 albeit in different proportions for my shorter, less demanding trips.

And if all else fails on especially hard days, I have found Hyland's Leg Cramps, a homeopathic formulation, does the job. It can be found in "health" stores and many regular pharmacies.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Brawndo, Its got Electrolytes. It's what plants crave.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

i recently started cramping in the evenings after sweaty hikes during the day. I can't stand electrolyte drinks – the taste, the sugar, and the black gunk that starts growing in water containers.

I started using SaltStick Caps and SaltStick Caps Plus – the Plus is caffeine. http://saltstick.com

I take one per hourly rest stop, where I drink 250-500 ml of water. I feel much better while hiking, and the evening cramps are gone. If I'm not sweating hard, I take fewer. On really hot days, I take a few more in the evening. I'll take one or two in the middle of the night if I wake up with cramps or other symptoms from under-dosing during the day. I like being able to control how much I take.

I like the Caps Plus, I get my caffeine fix without the hassle of boiling water, etc. But I take a few plain ones along for the middle-of-the-night scenario.

I can't say these are better or worse than any other brand, but they worked for me.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

On my 6 day backpack, I had *no* leg cramp issues. I don't think I was any better conditioned, as work has been challenging and finding time to exercise has been too. However, I took a calcium/magnesium supplement with me, and took 1 capsule at bed-time. No problems whatsoever. So, that will make it into my backpacking kit from now on, it was worth it!

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

My cramping issue is caused or compounded by blood pressure medicine.

I carry a tiny little vile of Lite Salt(Sodium and Potassium salt).

When I get cramps, I sprinkle a little on my tongue for almost immediate relief.

If I start to feel like a cramp is coming on, I take a little bit. This seems to prevent any cramping.

I will add a pinch of Lite Salt to my drinking water on hot hikes. This almost totally prevents heat cramps for me.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

This is one of the few areas in which the more "sciencey" the food, the better. Compared to previous generations, even the most conditioned of us are relatively unconditioned for the trials we put our bodies through while backpacking. I think it's foolhardy to recommend to anyone to eat a banana or lick salt without understanding the science behind it, and then to expect that their condition will improve.

My recommendation would be to read about muscles. This is a reasonable article about electrolytes that describes some pitfalls. Once you get the basic understanding of electrolytes and how much you need based on environmental and personal factors, you can make a much more informed choice on what you supplement with.

Personally, I carry little electrolyte pills called Endurolytes for everyday backpacking, and switch to liquid calories from Perpetuem for anything over 20ish miles. It really makes a world of difference to how I feel the next day.

Edit: link got filtered. Trying again: http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/electrolyte-replenishment-why-it-146-s-so-important-and-how-to-do-it-right.1274.html?sect=essential-knowledge-section

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

As a person with diabetes I often have terrible legs cramps that debilitate me. For me it is due to insufficient vitamin B12. Taking it, and eating right (for me, lowering my carb intake) has virtually eliminated leg cramps for me.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I get cramps on backcountry ski trips sometimes – hardly ever when hiking or backpacking, but often on ski trips, mostly in the first couple days of a week-long trip. It's pretty hard to get the legs and feet into skiing shape without skiing! But I also think the colder temperatures have to do with it – work the muscles hard and then cool them off. Stretching seems to help, and I eat dried bananas – not banana chips, mind you, but whole dried bananas. They are getting harder for me to find, but I eat 2 a day when I'm out. Plus I usually drink Electro-mix (made by the same folks who make emergen-c) at lunch. I find that helps with general muscle issues – I am less stiff the next day when I use it. I tend to sweat a lot, so I figure I'm losing a lot of salts that way.
    Worked with an older guy once who had leg cramp problems in everyday life – his doctor prescribed a banana a day, and it worked for him.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools