Topic

Error in pre-trip planning

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Error in pre-trip planning

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I had returned from my last trip, dumped all of my backpack gear in the middle of the floor of the gear room, and cleaned things up. Just now I was getting ready for the next trip, and I was laying everything out according to my gear checklist. Unfortunately, my gravity feed water treatment kit was missing. That consists of some Platypus hoses, a small filter, and a couple of 2-quart Platypus containers. Those are all within one plastic bag. I don't know whether I lost the kit on the end of my last trip, or whether it ended up in my car or my garage. I've gone over the gear room from top to bottom. However, due to the time schedule of my next departure, I didn't have much time to replace it in an economical fashion, so I simply drove to the nearest REI store with the intention of buying a couple of replacement hoses and a filter. To my dismay, REI doesn't stock all of that stuff anymore. They had all sorts of $70 or $100 or higher water filter kits that were heavy and overkill. Rats!

To my disgust, I purchased the Platypus Gravityworks, which is another gravity system. When I got it home, I discovered that they don't even put generic hose connectors on both bags. One bag has a proprietary connector. Those scoundrels!

So, I have something that will work for the next trip.

–B.G.–

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I thought you were going to tell us that when you got home you found the old kit in some extremely obvious place (that is what usually happens to me). Sorry for the difficulty in finding a suitable replacement.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools