Topic

UltimateHike for cancer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I just happened to find out about this and saw no mention of it here. While 28+ miles would be a personal challenge for me, I can't make either date near me this year, but it seems like a cool thing to do to raise money for a good organization.

UltimateHike.org

Jim L
    BPL Member

@bmafg

From what I understand from talking to the contact for one of the hikes…

They have about 500-600 hikers at all of their 20+ hikes combined. Each hiker commits to raising $2500, backed by their own credit card. They have a reasonably planned 'training' program which should encourage new hikers to try it. It seems a reasonable cause and a decent way to meet new folks you might not otherwise meet. The funded organization is CureSearch which funds predominantly pediatric cancer research. According to their latest IRS filings they have about a 4% overhead rate on a $90million+ budget which is very good.

I'm considering it as a way to have a guaranteed good excuse to get on the trail more.

Jim

David Maxwell
    BPL Member

@davidmaxwell

Locale: eastern, tn

This sounds like a really good group I haven't heard of before. My daughter was born 6 months ago with a Peroxisomal Disorder [zellwegers]. There is no cure for her disorder. We had a family support conference last week in Fl for the GFPD kids and their families. I wish I had known about this group so I could spread the word. Even though PBD kids don't have cancer, there still is no cure :(

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

> Each hiker commits to raising $2500, backed by their own credit card.

Ah, didn't know it was that steep. I saw the $100 registration that would be put toward the goal. Maybe next year I'll be in a better position for that, and it fits my schedule.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

They have a "Create Your Own Adventure" for 2014 so you can set your own fundraising goals now!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools