Topic

Current Three Season List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Current Three Season List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

It'd be nice if a screen shot could post here nicely. Anyway, here's a link: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=8357

What do you think? What do I need more or less of?

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Bump for proper format. Apologies to iOS viewers (I hate it too).

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

What is a toothbrush?

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Thia single use emergency "wisp" I've taken on dozens of brief adventures and never needed. It's the flare gun to my backpack's boat. I thought it was a ten-essentials item. If not, I'll remove it.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

List looks good, Personal preference but consider adding sunscreen, I use long sleeves and a wide brimmed hat.

I usually carry something that can help get ticks out, weather its tweezers or a tick key, some people just have good nails that get the job done. Here in the North East ticks are living the high life, not sure about CA.

Great list! There are always things you could leave at home or replace with lighter items ($$), but coming in under 12lbs base weight you have nailed 95% of it and look to have your bases covered with established and functional gear choices. If you are comfortable carrying it and the gear is worth it, then bring it along!

I digress: GirlNextDoor life lesson… make sure the juice is worth the squeeze…

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

I have brought those for use and found them not practical though they did get the job done.

I can goes days with out showering or brushin (teeth) but I only regret when I go days with out brushing.

Do you just gargle water or do you actually use the wisp daily or go sans brushing.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

I've never tried the Wisp mainly because of reviews on this site and the fact that it just looks wimpy IMO.

I have yet to field test the Scope Outlast mini toothbrush but to me it seems a little more "hefty".

The Scope Outlast

I picked mine up at the local Dollar Tree for you guessed it a dollar per pair. I even had the nerve to lighten it up a bit by trimming off the rat tail toothpick appendage at the end of the handle. ;-)

My dental kit now consists of a Scope Outlast mini brush and a small zip lock of Archtek toothpaste tablets.

Toothpaste tablets

I pack the kit inside of an old plastic prescription pill "bottle". It could only be lighter if I only used another zip lock instead of the pill bottle.

Party On,

Newton

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

I like the tabs okay. Should grab some. No, I don't go more than one at without brushing ever. I add toothpaste to the wisp, but I think Iay grab the Zpacks brush instead. As for sunscreen, that was an oversight on my part. I have repackaged some 30 and use it on my nose, hands, neck, whatever is most vulnerable. I'll update the list now. Thank you.

EDIT: re: ticks, I keep a tiny pair of first aid medical tweezers in my repair kit, mostly, for that purpose. It's included in the weight.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I used the Scope Outlast brush on my last trip out and have to say I would opt for a cut down real toothbrush over that next time. The bristles are sort of like plastic fingers and it didn't really feel like it got my teeth anywhere near as clean as a real tooth brush. I liked how light it was, and the little Scope gel tasted good, but the brush really left something to be desired in terms of effectiveness.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Ah, the voice of experience.

Dena, I think you just posted your first gear review. ;-)

Thank you for your post.

Welcome to the forums

Party On,

Newton

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

I'm adding this post to include the link to my review of the Scope Outlast Minibrush.

Party On,

Newton

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

John, good review, your experience was similar to my own. I can see maybe having one at the office for an "emergency brush" for after lunch or something but not as a replacement to an actual tooth brush. As you said, the bristles don't hold up for multiple use, and my experience was they did a poor job at actually brushing as well and my teeth still didn't feel clean after brushing. Perhaps Scope will upgrade this item at some point with better bristles- it would be a viable option perhaps at that point.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Thank you Dena, but I do believe that you were the first to review it in this thread! ;-)

I recently edited my review slightly only to include the embedded link to the Scope website where I found the quoted info.

Party On,

Newton

Green Thumb

@greenthumb

I didn't see any pot or mug to cook in. Did I miss it?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools