Topic

Wind Rivers-Dri-Ducks or formal rain gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Wind Rivers-Dri-Ducks or formal rain gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My family and I are headed out next weekend for 6 days in Titcomb & Indian Basin in the Wind Rivers. I've been hearing a lot about how the afternoon rain/hail/snow are nearly guaranteed. In the Tetons 2 years ago at about the same time it snowed 3" on us. Glad I had better quality raingear then to act as a good insulator in/through the snow.

Last year in Yellowstone, we had Dri-Ducks and they never came out of the packs. Well, they actually came out once and promptly ripped out in the crotch. Glad we had lightweight stuff!

What would you take into the Winds?

Also, I called the Ranger station and learned they officially have black and grizzly throughout the park and are suggesting either hanging or canisters. They weren't as adamant as Yellowstone or Teton rangers.

How likely am I to find cliffs to hang bags off of in the Titcomb & Indian Basins?

John Peterson

@skik2000

Locale: Boulder, CO

I just got back from there. We had canisters but there are large boulders everywhere that you could use to hang food. We had formal rain gear but didn't really need it. It only rained 2 or 3 times over the course of 8 days and when it did it was only for 20 minutes. Obviously could be different for you though.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools