Topic

SUL Cook System 2.7oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

I made a short video about my SUL cook system. Check it out and any constructive criticism is welcome. Thanks.
    -James

link to video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3-iacTXRgw

I don't know how to link or embed. Sorry =(

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I've never thought of using Reflectix like that: without a bottom! Thank you for sharing.

Jordan Clymer

@jordanclymer

Locale: The Columbia Gorge

Hey James,

That is a really light setup. Do you have any idea the approximate cost to build it?

How does the pot stand perform on uneven surfaces? It looks fairly unstable when you initially place the cook pot on top of it, just sitting on the counter top.

Third question is, how does it perform under mild to moderate winds? I live in a region of Oregon prone to a lot of wind, I am intrigued by the set up, but a little curious how it would perform dealing with any kind of winds.

Thanks for sharing. =)

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

James sent you a pm.

Jack

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

That's very cool!

I hadn't seen the flat-bottomed Zelph pot before (mine must predate that) and that's neat. I am a bit sketched over stove stability, but stoked at how light that whole rig is. Very cool.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Jordan,

TEA system from Suluk46.com ~ $50
    Spoon ~ $5
    Stuff sack ~$10
    DIY items (pot cozy, reflector plate, esbit tray) ~ ? not sure
    Total ~ $70 to include shipping and handling costs, and other items I may have forgot to mention.

Yes, initially the pot would have been unstable on the stand if I had left it. The stand is indexed to fit the pot bottom securely. So when the pot and stand are setup correctly it is solid.

Testing so far seems to indicate that between the windscreen and pot stand, its a fairly reliable set up. By that I mean, I haven't been in a situation yet where I have been unable to get the water to boil. (after I made the modification to the pot stand) Also take into consideration that with a boil time at about 7 minutes and loss of usable flame from an esbit tab being around 12 minutes, you should have no problems getting it to boil. Try to find a slightly shelter spot, a dip, behind a tree, make a little one from rocks and it should be fine.

Sorry for the delayed response but I hope this helps.
    Thanks,
    James

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I have decided recently to put aside my caldera fusion / SP 700 set up for an SUL Heineken pot (24 oz. capacity) with a suluk 46 windscreen and Zelph StarLyte stove. When you add the towel, lighter, stove lid/cap, and silicon wrist band for handling the hot pot, it's 3.6 oz. in a cuben Zpacks stuff sack. It takes slightly longer than the caldera but weighs half as much and is similar in efficiency. I am excited to try it in the field this fall. Will let you know how it goes. This setup finally has me at 5-ish pounds BPW. The shelter system is a MLD poncho tarp and borah bivy. The pack is a cuben zero custom from Zpacks that weighs 7.5 oz. with all the add one I chose.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

That sounds like a good set up for an alcohol burning system. I'm interested in reading a report about it as well.
    Cheers,
    James

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools