Topic

Raw Sunflower Honey Balls

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Raw Sunflower Honey Balls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Photobucket

From my blog:
    http://blog.trailcooking.com/2012/08/01/new-recipe-sunflower-honey-balls/

Easy to make, raw friendly and both kids and adults will love them. If you don’t like Medjool dates (and I’ll note that until I tried Medjools I hated dates, they are so different!), feel free to use organic raisins or prunes instead (D’Noir™ are great).

Raw Sunflower Honey Balls

Ingredients:

1 cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
    1/3 cup Medjool dates, pitted (about 5 large) (Costco, produce section)
    ½ cup raw almonds (Costco, baking aisle)
    1/3 cup raw honey, preferably locally sourced
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or Raw Cacao Powder
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp fine sea salt
    Directions:

Add the sunflower seeds and dates to a food processor, run on high until small pieces. Add the remaining ingredients, process on high until a ball forms. Line a small baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and make 1 Tablespoon balls, rolling in your hands to smooth. A 1 Tablespoon Disher works nicely. Chill in the refrigerator, then transfer to an airtight container.

To carry tuck into a snack bag or light hard sided container.

Makes about 20 balls.

Do not serve to children under 1 due to containing honey.

~Sarah

Steve C

@smit

Locale: sierra nevada

These look great! I'll be making them tonight to leave at dawn for a short trip. I will report back.

Steve

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

We tried the Medjool dates (got them at Whole Foods) and they are good if eaten by themselves. We have bought different brands of dates from Publix, Whole Foods and Costco (don't sell Medjool). IMO when mixing them with everything else you can't tell any difference between the dates.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Your Costco doesn't carry them? That blows! The Medjools they carry out here are some of the best I have seen – very plump, large and fresh. Where as the Trader Joe ones tend to be smaller and harder.
    I was nearly tuned off dates as a kid, due to my well meaning Nana, who would serve them to us. Except hers were rock hard and of questionable variety ;-) They were so gross. Thankfully I gave them a try again!

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Thank you for sharing this recipe Sarah. I defiantly plan to give these a try. They look delicious!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools