Topic

Do I need a better pair of boots?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do I need a better pair of boots?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I've been noticing I'm twisting my ankle quite a bit on day hikes, most the twists are when I'm not looking at the ground/trail. I'm worried this may become a habit and I fear injuring my ankle.

I use a Nike Terahumara shoes (Nike's version of trail runner. Do I need a change in shoes/boots? or just be more careful.

What are my options for a decent weight ankle protector also if its waterproof it would be nice.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Something with ankle support would be good i agree, if your just going out on a day hike trail runners suffice. However when your out for a few days and covering unknown terrian with a pack ankle support is good insurance. I have also noticed that my joints in my legs are less sore the next day when i wear boots.

Look for something lightweight. And skip the waterproofing, that will just add weight, and when it does get wet, it will take forever to dry.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

What about taping your ankle before trying out different footwear? Ideally that would allow you to protect your ankle while wearing your regular shoes, and hopefully you'll be doing ankle strengthening exercises at home so that you eventually won't need ankle support.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I prefer something low profile, close to the ground, zero drop whatever you want to call it.

I feel much more stable the close I am to the ground. I do come to a complete stop though before I enjoy the surrounding view.

I'm also a pole user. Helps with those errant foot placements and when I'm tired.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools